Shout Out for Waterless Airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
Just want give a thanks to the great folks at Vintable.com for their great product and service.

I ordered 12 breathable bungs about a year and half ago to see what they were like. I just ordered more so that says it all. For bulk aging they are perfect as you never have to worry about airlocks going dry or anything being sucked into the carboy.

I highly recommend them. :try

cheers

bungs.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

Thanks for posting this feedback, Ron. I've been meaning to get some of these so glad to hear they're working out. Do you clean them by boiling like recommended?
BTW nice looking bit of wine you have going there!

I never read about boiling them but was told they're produced at extremely high heat so are sterile when first used. They are a softer silicone and I'm sure they could take boiling without any issues. I usually just let them sit in k-meta while I'm getting everything organized. This time I ordered a couple with a single hole for airlocks (still like to see the bubbles while fermenting) and 1 solid one. I may have 1 extra waterless bung if you want to try one (PM me if so)

cheers

bung2.jpg

+1 I've been using these in my Demijohns for bulk aging. I really like them, they also have less height then the standard airlock which allows me to fit them under a shelf that I have other things stored on so I cam maximize my wine making space. :D

I've used a similar product for bulk aging for several years. They are great!

You guys mention that they are great for bulk aging, how about for secondary fermentation? Will they be able to keep inside the carboy without being forced out by the initial outflow of carbon dioxide? It would be nice to not have to worry about toppled and leaking airlocks...

I use them exclusively work for secondary a lot easier to clean. don't boil them just rinse wit hot water and soak in some sanitizer never had any problems

A buddy that uses them and ordered more, uses them for the entire fermentation process with no isses. They are softer material and that allows you to press them in very tight.

cheers

Maybe a better description about how each style is used? I get that if it has the one big hole then that style means can use regular airlock. But what the heck is grab? Shouldn't they all have an easy to grab place for removal? Does that make vent the one to use for bulk aging? I love the idea of using with no additional airlock therefore making it all shorter. I have lots of gallons aging with airlocks. If just this plug I could use a couple additional shelves that just aren't tall enough to use jugs with airlocks.

Ball park on price would also be appreciated. I've learned in life if you have to ask the price it means you can't afford it.

Pam in cinti

I have two of these. So far they seem to be working fine but I have not tried the wine in the carboys the stoppers are currently in to verify no oxidation. Wine color looks fine though. I have only used them for bulk aging thus far.

Here's where I got mine: http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/841372.htm ~$4.50 for size 7 (glass carboys). There is also a size 10 for ~$7 for Better Bottles.

Last edited:
I have bulk aged for six months using these with good results---meaning no oxidation noted.

Everyone, thank you for the additional info. I'm a bit on overload having added 5 buckets right now. Because I added fruit each bucket is entirely filling a 6.5 gall carboy. I know down the road I'll have a lot more 1 gal and 1/2 gal containers, and those too short shelves would be the perfect spot. At least now I have a plan.

Thanks again. I learn so much every time I browse these forums.

Pam in cinti

Do you have a link for these Putterrrrrrrrrr?

Vintable.com

#7 vented bungs were $2.33 each. #7 with a airlock hole $2.18 ea. #7 solid bung $2.18 ea.

Ask for Roger. He is very knowledgeable and will answer any questions one may have

Cheers

Vintable.com

#7 vented bungs were $2.33 each. #7 with a airlock hole $2.18 ea. #7 solid bung $2.18 ea.

Ask for Roger. He is very knowledgeable and will answer any questions one may have

Cheers

How is his shipping?

Midwest had the vented waterless air locks on sale bout a month ago for $1.99 a piece. I ordered 12 but all they had left was seven. I love them. I use them on carboys that I have aging.

I've been using them for bulk aging also. Check out HOMEBREWIT.COM, Elkhart Indiana

Where can I get those around here in Nova Scotia. I am from the valley area.

Latest posts

Back