Should I buy this item?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJMehr

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bulk age a RJS Grand Cru Chardonnay & Merlot kits and want to add oak chips/cubes to these wines. I came across a stainless steel brew infuser for $30.00 USA. I think that it will work but maybe I should just put the oak in a muslin bag.

20090223_203356_BrewInfuserOpen.jpg

Any thoughts one way or the other about this brew infuser?

Robert
</span>

If its SS the I dont see a problem with it at all but a fermenting bag would be cheaper and serve a better purpose in the future if you are interested in making fruit wines.

It would be hard to get the fermenting bag in the carboy. This looks handy if you are going to add oak while bulk aging. I think I need one.

I just put oak chips in the carboy...They sink by the time you are ready to siphon...The jet bottle washer gets them out of the carboy and the sink strainer collects them for the compost....works for us.

The item you are showing looks like a long tea-ball...might work for infusing some flavors in aging wine... A new toy????

I would think just adding oak chips would get you better (faster) oak extraction. The surface contact would also be greater. You would have to keep the "sticks" and "cubes" in longer.

The infusers are good for hopping, or adding other ingredients ina beer, I wouldn't have much practical application for them in wine.

I thought that the infuser might be for beer making. I know nothing about brewing beer, still learning about wine making.

Appleman, can you use the Oak Infusion Spirals more then once, or do you throw them away like oak chips when you are finished with the oak?

Robert

That item would work fine. It is correct it is more for beer brewing for Dry Hopping or infusing other herbs or flavors in a beer. You can use it for oaking though. The items Appleman show, the oak spirals are a just as easy method and are great products. What is nice is once you reach the desired oak levels, you simply pull them out and don't have to rack the wine to get it off the oak chips. I find the spirals actually give a more "barrel" oak effect than the chips or sawdust does. Just realize it will take longer. You should be bulk aging those fine red wines though anyway.
smiley2.gif

What smurfe says is the reason I said to use the spirals. Since your wine is basically done, by using the spirals there is no need to rerack a couple times to get the chips or cubes out. The American oak is cheaper than the French and you can control the amount of oak easier. Test it in a few weeks and when enough oak, just pull it out. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The cable modem died this AM after posting the above reply.

Thank you, gentlemen for your wisdom. I don't think I will be buying the infuser but the Oak Infusion Spirals look very tempting.

Robert

Latest posts

Back