should I add campden

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfick

Junior
Reaction score
I have about 4.5 gallons of blueberry/grape bulk aging, racked a week ago today. The racking was a little sloppy in that the wine splashed a lot, and there is quite a bit of head space in the carboy. Now, I did try and clear the additional space with some Private Preserve innert gasses, but is there anything else I should worry about (oxygenation)? Should I stabilize the wine now? Eventually, I will be adding an F-pac, but I wanted to age it for at least a month first.

Thanks,
Michael

Top it up, either with your F pack or some other wine. Blankets of gas do not last very long. You can still bulk age with the f pack added.

Michael, when was the last time campden was added and when was this batch made? You will want to stabilize as soon as it's done with the fermeting. I'm with Doctor CAD as too top it up but a little more info needed.

The only campden was added around the start of the year when I made the must. I did an SO2 titration yesterday and found it to be 25 ppm, so I adjusted to 40ppm(hopefully)

Back