Shipping bottled wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syncnite

New Wine Maker
Reaction score
How do you ship bottled wine? Do you "follow the rules" and ship through an approved alcohol shipper? Or do you "bend the rules" and ship via USPS and just mark the box "fragile"?

Don't worry - I'm not a mail cop. I've used both methods but the legal method is expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I ship via UPS, and don't disclose the contents. Why mess with USPS? As I understand it, it is against UPS's policy for me to ship wine, but it is against Federal law for me to ship it via USPS.

Never USPS - Use FedEx or UPS.

I buy and print my own labels at home for the box and just drop it off at the FedEx or UPS shipping center - no questions asked.

For the record, I only ship vinegar for salad dressing. I'm sure there's some acetic acid in my bottles.

Yep, I'm a marinade guy myself (if anyone asks, but they usually don't). UPS. I just recently shipped 2 375's and the difference between USPS and UPS was about 4 bucks. Not worth a stint in the federal pen, if you ask me. :D

Forgive my ignorance, but how come you guys can't ship wine via USPS?
Hypothetically, would I be able to send wine to a friend in the US?

It is against US federal law to ship alcohol via the US Postal Service. It's a law that's been on the books since 1909.

Private carriers like UPS and FedEx can ship alcohol. They may have specific policies in place to limit it, but it isn't against any law.

Ah - cool. Thought it might be just to get around the fact that each state has different liquor regulations so it's easier to just enforce an umbrella ban at a federal level.

Back