She Got the 'Fermenting Fever'!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
I've been working on the details for a several months, getting my knowledge level up, upgrading my beer brewing equipment to make wine, and my wife has been "putting up with it", at best.

Friday I made my first 3 gallon batch of honey mead wine:
20090928_063115_P9250101_Small.JPG

, and Sunday we planned to make an Australian Cab from Wine Experts. We bought two kits, the Cab, and an Australian Shiraz, and planned to make the Shiraz once we bottled the Cab.

So, we made the Cab, and set it in the fermenting tub, and she said "Why wait, let's just make the Shiraz now". My response of course was, "Honey, we'd have to go out and buy a couple more 6 gallon carboys." And she said "Well, you can fit that in this week, can't you?" So we made the Shiraz, and got it to fermenting.

While I was finishing up that process, she was digging through the fridge and cabinets, pulls out a 2 liter jug of "Juicy-Juice", 100% juice, berry variety, a handful of raisins, and a pack of Red Star Champagne Yeast. When I asked what the heck was she doing, she said "Well, this is pure juice, has natural sugars, so it ought to ferment to, shouldn't it?"

Hard to argue with that logic, so I let her have at it, cut a hole in the lid, and stuck an airlock on it.
20090928_062922_P9270116_Small.JPG

20090928_063259_P9270117_Small.JPG

It contains apple, grape, pear, and raspberry juices. The only added things it has is citrus acid and ascorbic acid. My question is, does anyone know what concoction might come out of this?

I don't particularly care if it is a failure, I was just glad to see her jump on board!

I think her concoction will become a wine. Good instincts on adding the raisins because it will add body.
You might as well pick up a couple of more carboys and a few kits so you don't waist a trip to the LHBS. Seriously at least 1 extra carboy is a good thing to have and a couple of smaller ones as well as bungs (even the little ones for bottles) and airlocks for that little extra bit of wine.
VC

My thoughts exactly!
smiley36.gif

I keep buying an "extra" carboy to have on hand and it ends up being full in about 2 weeks!

Oh yeah, she's got the fever.
smiley20.gif
Good luck on all of your projects. Keep us posted on the outcome of her wine, John.

what i want to know is this...it looks like you have your wine aging in containers sitting in a bath tub or shower.......are you all going w/o showering until its ready to bottle? :) had to ask !

It doesn't take much to get someone started as an addict.
smiley36.gif
The most important thing around here when I'm making one of "my" wines is that Bert keep his nose out of it. I don't keep good notes and I tend to make wine the way I cook. A little of this a little of that. It works for me!

PWP,

My loving wife is the same way. She is the best cook I've ever known, and she doesn't follow recipes much, just follows her tastes and intuitions. I don't cook anything without following the recipe to the letter, but she is a Scientist, and and it definitely works for US!

I already catch myself wondering how much I'd need to make some good wine.
I have some 100% grapefruit juice I'd like to turn into wine. I wonder how that would turn out.

Back