Cellar Craft SG there at 1/2 way.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAG

Reaction score
I'm fermenting my CC S African Shiraz. It says it tàkes 10 days to get down to 1.000. Well after 5 days, here we are! Temp has been around 77, and I've stirred or swished the bucket( I like my grape pack to run loose, no sock). Do I leave it for 5 more days? I know the timeframe is just a guide. It's still bubbling some. More than occasionally. Any suggestions?

Lol! Thanks Doc. I'm a wanna know why guy. What happens if it stay in primary for 2 more days or so?

WAG:

Personally I'd wait a couple more days to make sure that everything is extracted from the grape skins. Heck, if I was making it, I wouldn't be checking the sg for the first time for a couple more days.

Steve

WAG, while the wine is in primary, the outgassing of CO2 is vigorous enough that airborne bacteria cannot be absorbed into the wine. The CO2 also lays on top of the wine providing additional protection. As fermentaton slows and comes to and end, the prodcution (and therefore the protection) of the CO2 lessens. As rapidly as your wine fermented, in two days it could be very close to finishing fermentation (i.e. SG of around 0.992-0.994) and, personally, I would not chance it but that is your call.

Hey Rocky, you would not risk what?
Thanks to the responses.

WAG, I did not realize that you had the wine in a primary under airlock. There are some on the forum who ferment to dry in the primary starting with a loose cover at the beginning of fermentation and then snapping the lid down and adding an airlock at about SG 1.020. I have done so on rare occasions and prefer to transfer the wine to a carboy at that SG instead (smaller cross section of air exposure). You mention that you are stirring the wine regularly so you must be opening and closing the cover from time to time. I see this as a risk of introducing air and with the slower fermentation, that could be a problem. I don't know your experience level. What you are doing can work but I feel there is risk involved. The up side of what you are doing is that the wine stays "on the skins" for a longer period of time, which should lead to a fuller, richer wine. Just my opinion. There are very few hard and fast rules in wine-making.

Thanks Rocky. I'm a 13 month "vet". Lol. I've done 8 kits. I did stir for a couple days, but I closed it up and air locked so then I just grabbed the bucket and kindly swirled it to mix it up some. I do want to get max benefit of the skins. I guess I'll rack tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks Rocky. I'm a 13 month "vet". Lol. I've done 8 kits. I did stir for a couple days, but I closed it up and air locked so then I just grabbed the bucket and kindly swirled it to mix it up some. I do want to get max benefit of the skins. I guess I'll rack tonight or tomorrow.

See, I was right! :h

Latest posts

Back