Selling home made wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just getting a federal label approval can be a PITA, and nothing gets bottled without the label. But it's the state regulations that can bite ya, depending on your state.

In Tennessee, for example, you can only sell your wine at the winery. That eliminates a lot of potential marketing avenues, and it makes the business very, very difficult since the customer has to search you out. There is zero chance for casual purchasing that way.

Also, state health codes and standards are another way politicians can tilt playing field to favor the big wine companies and distillers, who in a totally unrelated matter ... *cough* ... also funnel big bucks to the state politicians.

Then, there's the taxation. Tennessee has a hidden tax on every bottle, paid by the producer. There goes some of your profits. Then the bottle is sold with that tax already included, and sales tax is charged on top of that.

If you are really serious, be sure you look at what the sales regs are in your state and how much you will need to invest up front to satisfy the myriad of health regs for your facility. I did all that one time, and decided nahhh...

Yep, as my French friend says, "The United States is not perfect, but I sure prefer it!"

Has your unnamed "French friend" (cough) spent half his life in the US and half his life in Europe? As I have?

I certainly would not say I have a preference. Each place is simply different. Learn to live with the differences. Deal with them.

My French friend (cough), who is Dr. Jerome Baudry, has been in the USA for about 20 years.
Appreciate the follow up. But I can find no reference to him saying this publicly. Maybe I should personally ask him to confirm. Especially if you are making public comments in his behalf.... :)

You say you don't have a preference but it sure didn't sound that way to me in your first post. 😄

I am not to fault because you misinterpret my comments. :cool:

Yeah, be my guest.

Done.

Curios to see if he replies. With great respect to him if he does. And if a friend would expect him to confirm your statement and go on record which I will publish here if he consents (I asked).

But confirming your statement really means little.... if you do not know that yet I can not help you. The world is a big place.

He prefers Fronsac wines, maybe you can get him to make a public comment about that, too! 🤣

What a weird comment...... Not sure of the relevance. :rolleyes:

Back