WineXpert Selection Special Chocolate Orange Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Is this the first year for this kit? I have never heard of the WE version of this and would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this vs the RJS kit. I tend to think that WE does a better job on some of these port kits myself.

Is this the first year for this kit? I have never heard of the WE version of this and would love to hear anyone's thoughts on this vs the RJS kit. I tend to think that WE does a better job on some of these port kits myself.
wade, i think this is the 1st year WE has come out with these special edition kits....granted i had been away from the hobby for a few years but prior to this, the only selection special kits were the riesling and cabernet franc ice wines, their standard port, sherry, and millenium sparkling wine....i actually have the chocolate raspberry port preordered....really looking forward to this one....definitely gonna take the extra time to let this one age, and fortify it after reading all the recommendations on this forum....last time when i made their regular port, i didn't fortify it, but it was still pretty tasty...that wascway back when i first started out...

I have made 3 kits of the Spagnols Orange Chocolate Port for my wife. Personally I don't care for it and I don't drink it. I asked the Mrs. if she wanted me to buy the WE kit for her and wants to wait till someone in our local wine club makes it first. Then she will sample and make up her mind.

Since the WE kit is brand new and unreleased it will be difficult to compare the two. One thing I did notice when I read the specs for the kit, that the WE kit is oaked. The Spagnols version is not.

Did anyone make this kit? Chocolate orange port. I found it at label peelers for $79. Sounds like a great deal and super tasty.

Mine's in the fermenter as we type. That's a great price, though. Label Peelers is awesome! I got mine at a local shop for about $110. Grab it!

Thanks Danger. I'll checkout my cart. It will be $30 shipping for me , but that is going to be almost anyone I buy from. $79 base price takes the sting out a little.

Getting ready to do my WE Chocolate Orange Port this week but want to read a bit more about fortifying first.

I did get a bottle from the wine shop where I got the kit, that he made and he didn't fortify his. It was really good. and yes, this kit does have oak power with it

Question: any tips on when/how to add the dextrose in?

I got mine and started it 2 days ago. According to the directions, the 'Chaptalization' should be to add the included Dextose 5-7 days after primary fermentation. When the SG is at 1.020 or less. The initial SG of the must for port should be 1.128 -1.133 according to the instructions. Mine was barely 1.12 so I added 2 cups of Demerara sugar which didn't raise it much. Since I am trying to stick close to the kit instructions as I can on this one, I left it at that. 2 days later it s simmering away and the SG is 1.077 at about 40 hrs after pitching the yeast. The temp is a little high at 76.5º. Time to turn the AC down.

Chocolate Orange Port

I also want to stick pretty close to the instructions, but was wondering about fortifying. I think I'll skip that for this kit. Haven't been doing this that long. The dextose bag and the very high starting SG threw me a bit at first. I just wanted to see if others ran into any problems or had to do anything special with a port kit.

I think I'll hang around and follow your lead........I'll be a week behind you, so I'd be very interested if you post as you go along and let me know how it's going.

Mine's been in secondary for ten days today. I'm racking tomorrow, and proceeding as instructed. In the primary, I added a little extra sugar, 20oz of California raisins, and subbed out their powdered oak for some toasted French. Fermentation went as planned, at a nice 70F.

As hard as I try I can't seem to stick to the instruction on a kit. Several discussions have come up over the last week arguing port wine and 'port style wine. I have decided to do a mod to the kit using the true way to make port which is using brandy instead of the corn sugar. When you think about t it, a true port kit can't be made from the manufacturer because that would require them shipping bandy with the kit instead of dextrose. Talk about a legal nightmare!

So after talking with Jamesngalvestion (who know more about true port than I ever will) and doing some other research, I am going the brandy route.

I will be adding 1 gal of brandy to the must when it gets down to about .995 along with the fpac. This will probably happen tomorrow.
There is some great reading on this on these sites:

This a a great video as well a lengthy history

and fine vine wines ABV chart

Put mine in the fermentor yesterday, man I don't like powered oak. The starting SG was right on 1.128..............so alls good so far.

I think I will be sticking to the instructions mostly and doing the dextose when it's ready but I might just add some brandy with the f-pak.

As hard as I try I can't seem to stick to the instruction on a kit. Several discussions have come up over the last week arguing port wine and 'port style wine. I have decided to do a mod to the kit using the true way to make port which is using brandy instead of the corn sugar. When you think about t it, a true port kit can't be made from the manufacturer because that would require them shipping bandy with the kit instead of dextrose. Talk about a legal nightmare!

So after talking with Jamesngalvestion (who know more about true port than I ever will) and doing some other research, I am going the brandy route.

I will be adding 1 gal of brandy to the must when it gets down to about .995 along with the fpac. This will probably happen tomorrow.

Lori or anyone,

Do you lock the kid down on the fermentor on these kits or do you just cover it? Thanks

I have been just covering it so far. When I add the brandy tonight, I will put a top and airlock on it and let it sit a week or so.
I decided I won't add the fpac at this time because I want to be sure the Brandy kills the yeast before I feed it more sugar from the fpac.

I'm with you on the powered oak. That stuff is a mess!

The only caveat I would mention is that this kit was not necessarily intended to be diluted by that much of a volume. Not to say that it won't turn out okay, but it won't turn out as intended, either. The alcohol concentration will go up while everything else will have it's concentration decreased, including the sweetness and flavorings from the F-pack. Just something to keep in mind.

Latest posts

Back