selection kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webber

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there

First time on forum. Question, has anyone started wine kits (selection) and matured in oak barrels after intital fermentation, any adivce on whether to leave out oak packs or include them. Advice would be greatly appericated. Also how long would you suggest leaving the wine in the barrel, thanks.

Normally, aging kit wines in oak barrels is not advised unless you have quite a few kits you can rotate through the barrel one after the other. A 5-6 gallon barrel will have too much wood to wine contact and you can over oak a wine quite quickly. Most recommend a minimum of 30 gallons for using a barrel.

Smurfe :)

thanks for the quick advise ill definatley take this onbored have you made any of the kits from selection if so how do they taste im especially intrested in the creshendo line

I have made many of the Wine Expert Selection or Estate Series kits. Until recently, the dealer I buy from sold only Wine Expert kits. I have made around 20 of the Selection kits. All have been very good and I have not been disappointed with any of them at all. The only Crushendo I have made is the Super Tuscan which is fantastic. I have never heard a complaint about the Crushendo's other than the mess you will make if you don't follow some simple directions that assist in alleviating the mess. I have made a few grape pack kits by Cellar Craft which are very good as well.

hi again

thanks for the fast response im quite new to using these kits i realy like the way the kits are marketed but the price here in the uk is about £105 which isnt cheap but recently i made 2 kits from the kenridge series showcase amarone and legacy merlot these kits have 16l of juice and cost around £60 the founders series is £79 but has 18l 0f juice and grape pack this rivials the creshendo kits in value but im unsure whether the quality of the juice will match the selection kits any idea

thanks

I don't know what the conversion is between Pounds and the US dollar but that seems like a pretty steep price. I have never made a Kedridge product but have heard good things about them by the folks on Winepress. I am sure the price difference has a lot to do with the shipping from the manufacturer. I believe Wine Expert kits are made in Canada in British Columbia which is the far west corner of Canada. I do not know where Kenridge is made. If the Kenridge is a product that suits you, by all means save some money and use them.

hi again

thanks for the fast response im quite new to using these kits i realy like the way the kits are marketed but the price here in the uk is about £105 which isnt cheap but recently i made 2 kits from the kenridge series showcase amarone and legacy merlot these kits have 16l of juice and cost around £60 the founders series is £79 but has 18l 0f juice and grape pack this rivials the creshendo kits in value but im unsure whether the quality of the juice will match the selection kits any idea

thanks

Webber,

Try shopping at this link - Hop & Grape UK.
Great choice and great service when I've used them (they also hold supplies of speciality beer/ale liquid yeasts - a rarity in the UK!). They also take orders over the phone.

KenRidge is one of Vineco's product lines, and is made in St Catharines Ont Canada. FYI, Winexpert & Vineco are separate companies owned by Andres Wines.

Steve

Back