Other Seeking Recommendations for a Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
Haven't been on here in a long while but I knew it would be the right place to come to for assistance and/or recommendations.

Recently tried several Rieslings from southern Ontario wineries which were quite good; some typical Riesling taste characteristics but seemingly sweeter and less harsh (my opinion only) than most of the Germanic Riesling varieties. Well, I'm not really a "white wine person" as a general rule but have to admit these ones from Ontario kind of stood out so I'd like to give it a try.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a kit that would be more like the Ontario Rieslings than the German based Rieslings?

Jerry :dg

German Riesling can actually vary a bit from virtually dry to rather sweet, but for some reason it's always assumed to be sweet. I personally prefer a dry Riesling, myself. I think most Riesling kits tend to be more off-dry, and typical source regions include California and Washington State for the most part. Not sure how much money you're looking to spend on a kit, but WE has an Eclipse Columbia Valley Riesling and CC has a Yakima Valley Riesling (Washington). I have never heard anything bad about those particular kits.

Walkers fruit basket has a Riesling juice bucket that I believe is sourced from either that region or the finger lakes region. I have it clearing right now and it is very good so far

Go with the Washington, is the grape that put Washington on the wine worlds map

I have never had an Ontario Riesling. Maybe I should. I have had both Washington state, New York Finger Lake and German Rieslings and prefer the Washington State. I made the Winexpert Eclipse Washington State Riesling and think it is a very very good Riesling and would recommend it.

If you ferment a Riesling make sure you give it proper nutrition and I would advice a nice cool ferment to help the fruit flavours come forward.

Back