Sediment Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suecasa

Addicted Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm .. any ideas??

I am working on a Coastal Red. Has been racked once in secondary already about 6 weeks ago (A bit more than a week after stabilizing). I thought it looked pretty clear at the time and did leave as much sediment behind as possible.

I thought the carboy looked like it may have sediment again so i just racked again ... and there was a lot of sediment ... some of it was decidedly clumpy ... I have been careful with sanitizing of course .. but to me clumpy doesnt sound good ... still tastes good ... am I still safe??

Sorry .. paranoia for making something dangerous or nasty!!

The clarifying stage can take a little while for everything to settle out especially if it wasn't completely degassed prior to adding the clarifyers. Sometimes it drops out some pretty goopy stuff and now that it is off of the sediment I would leave for a few weeks to make sure nothing else is going to drop out to either make a) filtering easier and/or b) shouldn't drop anything out in bottle.

Latest posts

Back