Secondary of grape and blackberry not working. Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinWray

Reaction score
I started with 5 gallons of blackberry, 5 gallons of Red raspberry and 10 gallons of grape. I added my camden, pectic enzyme, sugar to 1.095, yeast nutrient, and yeast to each at primary. After seven days I started racking from buckets to my 6 gallon carboys. I started with my raspberry, racking with my siphon, but it kept getting stopped up. I dealt with it until it was done but transferred a lot of Lees? into my carboy. So to save time, I ran the blackberry, and grape through a cheesecloth and squeezed the fruit until all the juice was out into the carboys. The raspberry is bubbling away, but the grape and blackberry is barely bubbling. Did I kill the yeast by straining it, or is this normal.

Kevin...tough to answer your question without specific gravity and temperature info.

Steve

I have a feeling you might needed to leave the wine in the primaries a little longer. What was the gravity readings when you racked?

I checked the specific gravity this morning and both grape, and blackberry have a SG of 1.000 and the temperature is between 70-71 degrees. My starting SG for the blackberry was 1.036 and I added 7 lbs of dextrose to get SG up to 1.091 to make 4 gallons. On the grape my starting SG was 1.070, I added 7.5lbs of dextrose to get a starting SG of 1.095 to make 5 gallons. On both the grape and blackberry I used Lalvin k1-v1116. Used Lalvin Bourgovin Rc212 for the raspberry which is doing fine, but I did not squeeze it through a mesh.

I think you are fine. Just because your airlock is not bubbling does not mean there is no fermentation. The only way to tell if your wine is still fermenting is by using a hydrometer. Let it go a few more days and take another reading.

I'll do that. What should I be looking for in my SG readings over the next couple of days. Thanks for the response.

just make sure it is still dropping, it could drop as little as .002, this will let you know fermentation is still going on.

That is true..Bubbling is not required for fernentaion. Keep a eye on your hydrometer readings. If they are going down you still fermenting. When you get 2 to 3 of the same readings then fermentation is complete.

Back