Secondary Fermentation in Plastic Jugs at Room Temp?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbjg0788

Junior
Reaction score
I did some primary fermentation in glass gallon jugs. The juice is now in secondary fermentation and I am using a grade 5 plastic jug. The plastic is not clear but had a milky white color. Is it ok to use this type of plastic jug for secondary fermentation? Also, I have the plastic jug at room temperature. My refrigerator is not big enough to fit the plastic jug. Is secondary fermentation at room temperature ok? I realize that using a glass jug and putting that glass jug in a refrigerator would be the best scenario. Thanks for your help.

John S.

Last edited:
The plastic might be an issue over time as it might be oxygen permiable, but there are people who only use plastic without ill effects. Not sure the fridge would be that good unless you want to cold crash it, or you live in an area that's extremely warm.

I did some primary fermentation in glass gallon jugs. The juice is now in secondary fermentation and I am using a grade 5 plastic jug. The plastic is not clear but had a milky white color. Is it ok to use this type of plastic jug for secondary fermentation? Also, I have the plastic jug at room temperature. My refrigerator is not big enough to fit the plastic jug. Is secondary fermentation at room temperature ok? I realize that using a glass jug and putting that glass jug in a refrigerator would be the best scenario. Thanks for your help.

John S.

Personally, I would do primary fermentation in a plastic pail, and then use glass gallon jugs for secondary and aging.

Where did the code 5 plastic jug come from? I'm sure that there are many versions of code 5 plastic. Some would be OK for alcohol, others would not be.

Steve

Personally, I would do primary fermentation in a plastic pail, and then use glass gallon jugs for secondary and aging.

Where did the code 5 plastic jug come from? I'm sure that there are many versions of code 5 plastic. Some would be OK for alcohol, others would not be.

Steve

How can there be many versions of grade 5? If it were another version wouldn't it be a different grade.

The 5 only indicates the primary resin used for producing the plastic, and does not indicate the formulation or additives that might have been included, which differs according to the end use of the plastic. Polypropylene food grade and non-food grade plastic would both be labeled with a 5. If the bottle has a 5 and was intended for food you're probably ok from a chemistry point of view. Polypropylene is oxygen permeable and the thickness of the plastic is an important factor that controls the rate. I wouldn't use the bottle for long duration storage unless it is heavy gauge.

Latest posts

Back