Secondary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Gardner

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have too much wine going into the secondary fermentation stage and I don't another glass jar available. Can I use a plastic gallon jug from vinegar or another kitchen product, or does it need to be glass?

Plastic is ok, as long as size is appropriate and headspace minimized in both containers.
When I rack, I tend to start with reserved 'extra' and then go for the main carboy, just so both are mixed. Once both are off lees, there is always a smaller 'extra' bottle.
Some here are making larger quantities, and bottle the overage to use to top up barrels and carboys. I am assuming you aren't working with much yet.

Looks like I'm going to have too much wine going into the secondary fermentation stage and I don't another glass jar available. Can I use a plastic gallon jug from vinegar or another kitchen product, or does it need to be glass?

Stay away from anything that had vinegar in it.

Go get more glass or plastic, but don't put into anything that'll degrade the flavor.

Other than that, I'm gonna say you'll be fine.

This is my Aunt's secondary, prior to racking off the gross lees into a barrel or demi's, and her wine turns out great.

thumbnail-61.jpeg

One tip I learned on this forum is to store the extra in wine bottles. You can either cover them and put them in the fridge, or get a stopper and airlock that will fit on a wine bottle. It's always good to have some extra for topping off later. If it is finished fermenting, it will clear faster in the fridge.

your secondary is out gassing so you have quite a few choices on container, I would use a good barrier after this stops/ 4 weeks
* if the plastic says PET I would have no issue with it, this is what big mouth bubblers and better bottles are. Some is used for oils which I would stay away from due to flavor/ cleanability.
* if is LDPE I would only use it for the time when it is out gassing, four weeks or so, a neat choice on this is cubitainers/ camping jugs since they store flat
* metalized film wine bags and EVOH wine bags could be long term but you need a support for them
* HDPE is the polymer in flex tanks, and I think some vinegar containers, I see Chuck’s note on vinegar and wouldn’t worry for short term while it is out gassing. ,,,, acetic acid is naturally produced to various levels by all yeast.
* canning jars take a #13 and #12 cork and fairly available
* the most recent experiment I have going is a 2.5 gallon pickle jar with a silicone lid/ capped with a saucer
I have posted on several experiments with barriers ex
A 120 mm PET bottle is an excellent addition since it is flexible/ you can rack into it for storage. I don’t like the gasket that comes with it and have improvised silicone and bungi cord.
View attachment 69057

One tip I learned on this forum is to store the extra in wine bottles. You can either cover them and put them in the fridge, or get a stopper and airlock that will fit on a wine bottle. It's always good to have some extra for topping off later. If it is finished fermenting, it will clear faster in the fridge.
a small universal bung turned upside down fits a wine bottle to airlock,
Dawg

@Paul Gardner, I second the advice on vinegar bottles. That may produce something you're not intending. Plastic in general is iffy for long term storage, unless it's a product designed specifically for wine making.

Glass or stainless steel are the best choices.

I purchase Paisano jug wine in 4 liter bottles -- it's fantastic cooking wine. I decant into 5x 750 ml screw cap bottles + a 375 liter bottle. I also have a large collection of 1.5 liter, 750/375/200 ml bottles for topup wine. #3 stoppers fit a corkable wine bottled, and as Dawg suggested, universal stoppers work as well.

Plastics can have a variable amount of O2 permeability. If you keep wine in plastic containers not made for wine making, you may have an unknown degree of oxygenation, and you might oxidize your wine. I use HDPE containers, but they are made for wine making, and they are very thick walled to limit O2 ingress.

Back