Scupernonng and Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the same one that Waldo has for Christmas too
smiley1.gif

I've already done a huge batch of apple juice in it, and it was awesome! I can't wait for grape season to hit, both for wine and juice.

I also got a nice S/S foodmill too, so that I can try my hand at making "snappy tom".

Jobe,

You are way over my head with this I don't even know what a scupernonng is....Im not afraid to admit it either.....
smiley36.gif

bmorosco said:
Jobe,

You are way over my head with this I don't even know what a scupernonng is....Im not afraid to admit it either.....
smiley36.gif

It is a variety/species of Vitis rotundifoliaaka theMuscadine grape.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

bmorosco;

muscadine (red, almost black in color) and Scuppernonng (green, bronze color) are native to the south east, and are grown in vineyards and grown in the wild as well. The flavor of the muscadine is a earthy, must or "Foxy" Taste. Kinda taste like the clay soil smells like here in the mid-south. Scuppernonng is kinda the same but milder and I like it as a wine a little sweeter than the muscadine, and prefer it as well.

Waldo:

I just went down to punch down the bag on the scuppernonng and the scuperdine batches that I have going and can't detect the "odor" or smell of the cousine to the grape at all........ They smelled good during steaming, but after a couple of days of bubbling away, nothing. Whats up with that?

Thanks jobe05! I too haven't heard of a scuppernonng let alone see one. Or maybe have seen one and never knew what it was.
smiley24.gif

What yeast are you using jobe? It will mask the nose of the fruit somewhat during fermentation but I assure you it is there, just waiting to burst forward in the wine

jobe05 said:
bmorosco;

muscadine (red, almost black in color) and Scuppernonng (green, bronze color) are native to the south east, and are grown in vineyards and grown in the wild as well. The flavor of the muscadine is a earthy, must or "Foxy" Taste. Kinda taste like the clay soil smells like here in the mid-south. Scuppernonng is kinda the same but milder and I like it as a wine a little sweeter than the muscadine, and prefer it as well.

SOOOOOOo Smelling like MUD is a good thing???????
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

bmorosco said:
jobe05 said:
bmorosco;

SOOOOOOo Smelling like MUD is a good thing???????
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

You'll see....... I took yours to the office with me this morning so I can get it out today via UPS. I packed a 375ml of the scuppernong and a 187ml of the muscadine. When you drink the muscadine, close your eyes and think....... "So this is what North Carolina Clay Taste like??"
smiley36.gif

Then I have to get Waldos Blackberry Port out this week....... sigh.....

Waldo: I hope your right, but I don't think so. The grapes I got from Virginia (state, not person) are the ones that ferment out the flavor. When I first got them, I had about 8 pounds or so that I crushed and made a gallon batch, it now has been sitting for a few months and still smells like rubbing alchohol, just like this new batch. Now the batch that I added some of the muscadine to has a light detectable fruit smell to it that I think may come alive with a little time.

I don't know Waldo............

I just racked this for the third time and it is totally unbalanced betwen alchohol and fruit flavor. I'm talking only of the scuppernong now. Has a strong alchohol taste (because it's the only taste it has) versus fruit taste.

While racking, I could smell the sweet smell of the fruit, but no flavor of it while tasting it. ABV is only about 11% right now.

To answer you previous question that I didn't see before.

I used te same yeast on this batch of scuppernong as I did my last batch D-47 and on the Scupperdine, I used 71B-1122, same as I used on my Muscadine last year.

Don't know jobe.....I have never experienced this. I would give it a while and in the interinm try a gallon batch using Montrachet

Back