Screwtop bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I ordered wine bottles from Midwest Supplies and when I got them it turned out I had unknowingly ordered screw tops. The bottles cost $37.50, which will be refunded if I choose to return the bottles. The problem is that S&H was &19.25 to get the bottles and I have to assume that it will cost me about this much to return them. I will have spent about $38 and will have nothing to show for it, and will still need bottles.

My question here is: Have any of you used screwtop bottles and how dependable are they? I have 3 gals of Apple and 3 of Blueberry/Pomagranate
bulk ageing and I could use these bottles for them if the caps provide a good seal. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks:?

LOUMIK

To be honest I use both screwtop and corked bottles haven't used either real long but the screwtop seem to do fine in fact with certain caps I prefer them. The caps I prefer sorry not sure what they're called but they have a domed plastic insert in them and I think it provides an awesome seal. The only thing I can see might be a problem is if a person didn't degass the wine enough the bottle might blow instead of popping the cork

Thanks Sirs,
I think I know the type of screwtops you mean. The wines I'm going to use these for have been bulk ageing for about 6 months so far and were degassed well. Buying some screwcaps seemed to me to be alot cheaper than paying all that S&H and have nothing.
Thanks again for your help.
LOUMIK

+1, two thumps up, I'd buy the screw tops.

Thanks Sirs,
I think I know the type of screwtops you mean. The wines I'm going to use these for have been bulk ageing for about 6 months so far and were degassed well. Buying some screwcaps seemed to me to be alot cheaper than paying all that S&H and have nothing.
Thanks again for your help.
LOUMIK

Wine bottles and corks do not blow from a wine that is not degassed IMO, it will however happen from refermentation in the bottle even if its just a little.

My father used screw tops for 30 years. I just used them for a batch of Apple wine that was made for a friend at his request ( his wife can't hear the screw top). In both cases, the wine will not be stored long term. It also makes bottling a breeze.

I have used screw tops and capped them with a bottle capper, worked great,

My father used screw tops for 30 years. I just used them for a batch of Apple wine that was made for a friend at his request ( his wife can't hear the screw top). In both cases, the wine will not be stored long term. It also makes bottling a breeze.

"His wife can't hear the screw top"...

That is hilarious

so far everything i've bottled has been screw tops. longest they've sat is like 4 months. so... i guess so far so good.

Latest posts

Back