Screw cap bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1273

Reaction score
Ok I'm new at this and never bottled before be gentle with me..

I have some people giving me empty bottles and I have gotten some nice ones mostly greens and leaf color but a few are screw top (gasp) :p. one was a Raspberry sparkling wine/champagne bottle I got for Christmas that is nice heavy glass.

Can I just use them over with corks? will that work?

No, toss them into the recycling bin. The glass at the neck (threaded area) is super thin. You risk it breaking off with the cork insertion and the cork removal. Remember it was in NO WAY designed for a cork to be inserted. It was designed for a slight twist to break the seal. You will be putting a boatload of pressure on the neck if you cork it.

I would not attempt to use any screw top bottles. The reason for this is the top rim of the bottle is thinner than a corked bottle and they can fracture when a cork is applied.

BOB

I have used the screw top bottles now and then with no issues. Usually they are from bottles left over after a party so dont require much cleaning (i would not waist time cleaning a dirty screw top bottle). I use a port. floor corker and a smaller cork. These bottles are for wine I'm giving away since the bottle will probably not be coming back. So far I haven't broken any tops in my 20 years of wine making.

cheers

So far I haven't broken any tops in my 20 years of wine making.

cheers

I have and it wasn't pretty. Removing corks using a levered (waiter's) corkscrew can crack the top too. You have been very lucky. I would never risk it. Regular bottles are easy to obtain.

I see what you mean about the screw cap bottle having thinner glass. the one is thinner. the other that had a Raspberry champagne beverage in it I save is much thicker, also the cap to it was threaded on the outside and had a plastic plunger type stopper that went inside the neck. the glass is pretty thick and hefty looking. The thing it is much sturdier than the other wine bottle so I tossed the screw top wine bottle and think I will use the hefty one

I have and it wasn't pretty. Removing corks using a levered (waiter's) corkscrew can crack the top too. You have been very lucky. I would never risk it. Regular bottles are easy to obtain.

i dont think luck has anything to do with it. i reuse beer bottles as well (both screw tops (note that canadian screw tops are thicker than US ones) and normal tops) and have broken off tops with both types of bottles occasionally. hey **** happens. 1 bottle out of many dozens is acceptable to me. my cork opener screws down the center and pulls back up the center. have no idea what people use when i gvie them wine. they could toss it for all i know. there loss

cheers

A risk is a risk. If that risk is acceptable to you, go ahead. But I don't think you should put others at risk. All it takes is one time for a bottle to break and cause a permanent injury. A little slip and nerves could be severed. It may sound far fetched, but it isn't. I work in a chemistry lab and have seen horrific unexpected injuries due to glass breakage. Used wine bottles are easily available for free. You can choose to use proper bottles for corks. I don't see any reason to use a screw top bottle at all. And for beer bottles, I would only use a crown capper on proper beer bottles.

Agree with above and would advise you to avoid the screw cap bottles.

Just think of all the time and effort you put into making your wine. It would be a same to have to toss any of it simply because you chose to use the wrong type of bottle. Standard 750 ml bottles are well worth it.

It doesn't to appear have broken at the threads but below it where the glass is thicker? Is this a screw top issue or a light weight glass bottle issue? I recycled an "eco weight" glass bottle over the weekend, seemed very light duty. Wonder if I would have the same results as jimmyjames?

Is it ok to reuse a corked wine bottle that has a longer thinner neck, but are still 750ml?

Looks like Northern Brewer is selling a specialized 750ml wine bottle with the "jug" screw cap. This is not the same as the screw caps that are on wine bottles from the store. Those are "Stelvin" screw caps and take a very expensive machine to put them on.

Looks like Northern Brewer is selling a specialized 750ml wine bottle with the "jug" screw cap. This is not the same as the screw caps that are on wine bottles from the store. Those are "Stelvin" screw caps and take a very expensive machine to put them on.

Fits most screw-type fifth wine bottles. This is an all plastic screw cap with a cone shaped insert that fits inside the neck of the bottle. You get a perfect seal every time. This cap is easy to wash and can be reused. Comes 50 to the pack.

http://www.eckraus.com/28mm-poly-seal-cap-50.html

Latest posts

Back