Scraper to remove labels on wine bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, I volunteer you to try and report back. I currently use one that auto mechanics use to scrape inspection stickers off windshields. I scrape across the bottle instead of up and down so the blade lays flat. You may be onto something.

It is for woodworking - i bet if you looked at your local Ace or lumber yard you could probably find something similar.

I have followed these threads and never commented. I soak for a couple of days in plain water, scrape with a putty knife and then use paint thinner to remove the remaining glue. Some labels remove themselves in the soaking but most require the full cycle. Overall, most are not that big a deal. I then scrub in soapy water and sanitize before filling.

I agree. That is a pretty interesting tool the way it flexes. Definitely let us know how it works.:br

I see on the website, it states "Light duty". I wonder what guage the blade is? I'm known to use some real elbow grease when I go after those pesky labels.

Just wondering if anybody here has used this flexible scraper from Lee Valley Tools (or a similar item). It is shown with a wine bottle in the top picture on their web page.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67040&cat=1,43456,43390

I have used other scrapers, but one that will flex to the shape of the bottle might be very useful.

Steve

Ok, let's reopen this thread.

Steve, or others, have you used this flexible label scraper? Has anyone found an alternative?

I know at work I can purchase a plastic razor blade - fits the normal single edge scarpers - if that helps ??

As others have said, window scrapers (which have a flat razor blade) to remove paint works great to remove labels after a brief soaking period. You just work from one side of the label to the other side (not top to bottom). De-labeling, for me, is no longer a dreaded procedure.

Back