Science VS Tradition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...I doth arrived to deliver my opinion on this topic. As Danny knows, I am a traditional wine maker. I use no additives, add no yeast, I do everything old school as I had been brought up (am Italian, lol). With that said, after the barrel process, unlike what the gentleman you were talking to said...leaving the wine in the barrel and only taking sone out to drink here and there iiiis a no no. I started my operation about 2 yeas ago but been working with wine since I was a wee lad. Thus far, everyone who has tried our wine (blend of allicante and Grenache) has loved it! It is very gratifying for us winemakers, be it those who use older methods and those who prefer a more modern scientific controlled environment, to be able to make such an amazing elixir whose soul purpose is to bring celebration and unity those gathered around to partake and drink together.

Here I thought that a hydrometer and a pH meter ARE old school! LOL. They way these big wineries are making wine anymore, there's a whole lot more going on with testing/filtering/etc.

I would vary much agree on the cellar comments (one getting used to their own wine) and also about many not wanting to hear criticism. That's not me. I want to hear what others have to say, but only if they can identify their point with reasoning/taste. Everyone has different taste, so even the most award winning wine will could be "bad" to some people. We all have different tastes, no doubt.

I think wine is both a tradition/art and a science. Many are wrapped up in one or the other, but it takes both that make truly great wines. Having a clue about what methods, timing, etc will help/work is key. Having a good start with a knowledgeable pallet (tasting for faults, etc) is even more important than testing equipment. Your tongue can pick up things you may not be able to test with even the best equipment.

IMHO, a winemaker with a good pallet and knowledge of what affects taste will trump a winemaker without a pallet with all the testing equipment money can buy. A bit of k-meta though, is extremely valuable in preventing oxidation/spoilage. A hydrometer and a good digital pH meter (MUST BE CALIBRATED!!) is a practically a necessity. Beyond those, the other tools/tests are just guides to help with making the wine the way you want it.

For those making JUST grape wines, you might be able to get away without any testing equipment, but you had better know your grapes (ripeness, tartness, sweetness) before you pick them. Yeast though, has been kept for starters dating back hundreds of years. That is a control that should be utilized if you want repeatable success. What happens if it doesn't start? IMHO, too risky to waste good juice with weak/bad yeast, bacteria or oxidation.

Last edited:
The standard

:try

I stated that this was a good subject and it has proven such.

When we make wine we start off with the type of juice or kit, with the title let's say it is a sangiovese, like Johnt stated , knowing what you're working with and knowing what the finish the is key to wine making . mistake to send generate see for example; this is what I know it has a bright red cherry character , overlaying strawberry notes, with hints of violence and white pepper. it's medium body and long, wonderfully smooth tannic finish is likened by hazing of acidity and toasty oak .

That's what I know about sangiovese , no matter what I read or where I read it the characterizations are not going to change much . after tasting it at a commercial standard I now know on my goal should be and as a good winemaker that's my objective , even if I fall short I have a reasonable idea of what this one should taste like when I'm finished , do you agree? even if I fall short, if I myself don't have a good control of taste , there are others around me whether it's my wife, my friends or my wine group, there is always somebody around to do a tasting with and then I asked them what do you taste ? what do you smell? how does a finish . this in the data I need, in my winemaking experience to stay the course or make corrections , so that when you receive or a judge receives a bottle of my sangiovese and they understand what this one should finish like then at least, I have a chance a it being accepted for what it, is and not for something I thought it.

I have entered enough contests, gotten enough feedback to understand that sometimes we all fall short. but if you can take the constructive criticism and turn it around and define what part of it is correct and what part of it may not be correct , because like most things in life everything is subjective to someone else's thoughts and/or taste and/or suppositions of which , , the only thing you have to remember is that what ever type or style of wine that I'm making it has a definite characteristic and that is global and that should be your benchmark. trial and error get you there , through the good feed and the metals and the ones you don't get any feedback from this is a learning experience every time you open the box, every time you pry open the lid, every time you take a sip, this is an ever evolving hobby from the day you start to the day you open the bottle its constantly changing . :i

Joe, very well stated. That is why my first high end kit has been a Malbec. I have had many commercial Malbecs and have a reasonably good baseline to shoot for. Time will tell how close I come to the mark. If it all works out I would like to send you a bottle when it has come into its age and get your feedback!

But Joe, The problem is not with the folk who agree with you that there are specific characteristics for every wine that anyone makes anywhere and anyhow and that everyone is in fact trying to produce or reproduce those characteristics. Many folk may have no interest in that idea anymore than they have an interest in mastering any activity. All they may be interested in is in fermenting fruit to get a buzz from the alcohol or maintaining a "tradition" that they inherited from their family or in being able to tell their friends that they make alcohol. It's not that you are right and they are wrong or they are right and you are wrong it's just that they may be looking for something you are not and you are looking for something they are not.

I find myself just biting my tongue and not making comment with those that have their ways and can't/ or won't, excuse the theft of a line "see outside the box". Some are too head strong on tradition to see that we have progressed to what can be better.

Joe, very true on the notes for grapes, BUT you can almost artificially induce some flavors with certain yeasts on certain varieties. We've been toying around with different yeasts on different fruits beyond the standard "sets" so to speak. You can get interesting results from trying certain yeasts on certain fruits. Seeing how we do all fruit wine now and have not/ are not currently experimenting on grape wines, I can't comment exactly on how a particular yeasts affects certain grapes. I can say that we have a blueberry wine that is very close to a table red wine with fruity notes. I even bet some would call it a red wine without knowing what it was. What I will say, is knowledge about a fruits particular notes (smells, flavors, etc) is a good way to make good wine. If you are good, you can even exaggerate those elements.

Folk,

Just a moment to say that I really like how this thread is going. I am so glad that we are taking efforts to not offend anyone. It is great that each one of us has this as a goal.

Joe, I could not have said it any better myself! I guess that the message we are sending is that having a goal in winemaking is a preferrred and recomended goal....

To sum up so far....

1) It truely does not matter what your personal tastes are.

2) The best way to find out what wine suit you is to first taste a wide variety of wines to find the type/style of wines that best suit your tastes.

3) Once you have a handle on the type/style of wine you prefer, make that particular wine a benchmark.

4) A benchmark is a standard or a direction. Even though you have a benchmark, this does not mean that you can't adjust, change, or embellish to further suit your tastes.

Maybe add -
Once you believe you know what you are doing, remain teachable.

You have to remain teachable. When I was an apprentice I used to hear oldtimers say "I been doin it this way for 40 *&^king years there ain't no better way to do it." and I used to think to my self "That don't make you smarter, that just makes you older" you have to use your head, ya gotta keep an open mind!

REAMAIN TEACHABLE!!! How could I have fogot that point?
Thanks Robie!

A great example is this.. I remember reading (I do a lot of that) that one of the main reasons that California Wine rivals the French is BECAUSE of prohabition.

Whenever the topic of these dark days comes up, I am very quick to complain about its negative impact on the american wine industry, but there were some positives.

Most notable of all was that when prohabition ended, not many knew just how to go about making wine. Due to inexperience, American winemakers became very interested in the science of making wine while bringing themselves "back up to speed" on the winemaking process.

A prime example of just how this benefited the global wine industry was the discovery of MLB and its benefits. This discovery was made by enologists right here in the good old USA.

There are everal other examples. The main point here is that the French tended toward that "unteachable" world and it took "teachable" Americans to make the dicovery.

One other point I would like to make here is that we should live by the following creedo...

There is no such thing as a perfect glass of wine. Persuit of the perfect glass is a life-long journey that will never end!

I am really enjoying this thread.

I agree with you John so long as the pursuit of perfection does not stop you from enjoying the good enough!

Folk,

Just a moment to say that I really like how this thread is going. I am so glad that we are taking efforts to not offend anyone. It is great that each one of us has this as a goal.

Joe, I could not have said it any better myself! I guess that the message we are sending is that having a goal in winemaking is a preferrred and recomended goal....

To sum up so far....

1) It truely does not matter what your personal tastes are.

2) The best way to find out what wine suit you is to first taste a wide variety of wines to find the type/style of wines that best suit your tastes.

3) Once you have a handle on the type/style of wine you prefer, make that particular wine a benchmark.

4) A benchmark is a standard or a direction. Even though you have a benchmark, this does not mean that you can't adjust, change, or embellish to further suit your tastes.

I mean no offense to anyone but in my wine world, here's how the points go:

1.) What I like is paramount. I am going to make wine that I personally like the taste of, in such a fashion that I arrive at that taste.

2.) Experimentation is king. I am open to new ideas but I make no wine to somebody else's standard. For me it is not about what others think of my wine. I'm making this stuff for me. I appreciate honest input on wine: If they like a vintage, great, they will get as many bottles of what they like as they desire and I can spare, and I hope they enjoy it. If they don't like it, great, I will not burden them with bottles of the stuff they don't like. It can be looked at another way: If I slavishly make wine to someone else's standard, where is the room for innovation? I understand fear of failure, but overcoming that fear and acknowledging failure will happen is part of growth and innovation.

3.) Like a lot of styles and make a lot of styles, but don't get hung up on styles of wine. Some will turn out better than others. You will learn a lot.

4.) I don't use the term "benchmark," because it implies to me making wine to someone else's standards, not mine. I set goals. Robert Mondavi did not become successful by making Krug his benchmark wine and making his wines to that benchmark. He became a success by innovating.

I have two more:

5.) Wine folks who eloquently tell you they make wine for a bunch of reasons other than to get a buzz on are not being completely truthful, since it is impossible to actually drink wine and not get a degree of buzz based on consumption. So if buzz is a factor - and it is - why not make some vintages with the principle goal of attaining it in a nice way? There is nothing wrong with liking the feeling, or making wine geared to achieving it. That is simply a goal as are all others, and - judgmentalism aside - is equally legitimate.

6.) Just as you can make wines that are meant to be paired with foods, you can make wines designed to be consumed as stand-alones. Because a wine is made to be a stand-alone beverage does not mean it is inherently inferior.

All of this is based on a life philosophy I adopted after reading a Teddy Roosevelt speech in which he said,

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

You don't get there by worrying too much over how you stack up against someone else's benchmark.

Again, I mean no offense to anyone, I just have a contrary opinion.

Jim! For a wonderful WINO you sure do come across very lucid at times!

I don't necessarily think you have a contrary view. I think we all just define success in different ways. For example, consider my earlier post about Malbec. I love Malbec! It is undoubtedly my favorite wine. So in my early attempts to make a Malbec I will first try to emulate that which I have come to know and love. If I can come close to that benchmark I will be very happy. However, I do believe with my natural tendency to tinker, I will find ways to improve over that in time. It may very well stray from what commercial wines taste like, but it is my goal to make good wine better, so I will go for it. It all depends on how you define success, see what I mean. For some, success might be pleasing others over themselves. Nothing in the world wrong with that either. What I think most important is that you define your goal; what defines a perfect wine in your own terms. Those terms may vary greatly from one to the next; but hey, this is home wine making. The only standard that matters is the one you have defined. I really think we are all just saying the same thing, but from different perspectives!

Having said all that I would remind that the person John encountered was apparently unhappy with his wine but seemed reluctant to change. That's just weird for me. If I am not meeting my idea of what's right I am apt to change.

Copied off that Roosevelt quote. It is going on my wall!

Yeah FAB, I'm not saying one way is better than the other, because like I really don't care what people think of my wines, I really don't care what they do or how they find their motivation to get out of bed everyday (as long as it does not involve harming others).

I have made good wines, I have made bad wines, and I have made wines that some people raved about and others thought were awful. I have made wines I myself did not like that everyone else thought were works of art! So I was not being judgmental at all, just sharing my own opinions.

In fact it's the judgment in wine circles I run fastest away from. It's all good.

TR quote: http://www.theodore-roosevelt.com/trsorbonnespeech.html

If you ever get the chance to read the entire speech, it is good and mostly still relevant even today, all these years later. It was made 9 years before his death in Paris.

The quote is on my wall at work. I have had it posted at my workplaces for years.

Last edited:
I do hear you, Jim. That's why I seldom ever give my wine away. I hardly ever even let others try my wines, except at wine club meetings, where folks don't automatically tend to turn up their noses at home made wines. I am thinking others besides them could possibly enjoy my wines, but I just don't go there.

That said, sort of by accident I recently slipped one of my bottles in at a party where there were several opened bottles at any given time and people were randomly trying wines. One guy and his wife had pretty much taken over my bottle, saying how nice it was. They got really quiet when someone told them it was homemade. I never even commented.

Lets continue

Okay, fabulous wines, you're making a Washington Merlot and Argentina Melbec as well as a tropical Riesling and the white Merlot is that correct ?I think my point was that a Merlot whether white or red has a definite taste standard/ Riesling has a definite taste standard, not that you can't go to the left of the center of the right of the standard, the winemaker should understand the basic taste profiles of the wines he or she is making. Nothing more, nothing less, if we didn't have standard or definitions of what each wine or grape style is supposed to finish like and/or taste like then we just been squashing grapes, fermenting juice and that's the end of it .but there are taste standards that's all ,I'm definitely not God's gift to this industry, but if this industry didn't have definitions of taste it would not be in industry as we see it today as it has grown and has redefined itself since the Roman times, that's not to say if you choose to make wine in your own fashion it wrong, there are no wrong way as some people's point out and believe me if can make wine like Francis Ford Coppola's, specially their Chardonnay- I would be doing quite well, but as Chardonnays go I don't do bad. So you see to me that's my target, because I understand. The standard I've come very close and can still call it my wine.:dbFabulous wines, I just use your wine styles as a point of reference, not directed at you, okay.

Good subject:tz

I also dislike when someone tastes my wine and just says "I like it!" But sometimes they don't have the language to describe what they liked, that's not SO bad. I really hate when someone tastes it and simply says, "I hate it" without any useful criticism. Or worse has a reason they won't like it BEFORE they taste. Usually that's some imagined idea that fruit wines are like Boones Farm or low class.
I love criticism. I work hard at making something to eat or to drink whenever I do it. I can't tell you how many times I've served a brisket or a glass of something and when I taste it I critique myself. Folks around me are always like, "you're being too hard on yourself, it is really good!!" Well, I never said I didn't like it, I usually do! I'm just describing what I want to do better. Don't we always want to do better? I'm new at this, so I'm still finding it easy to get better, lol. Hope I can always find the patience to find a new way to improve.

Of course this does not mean that I'm necessarily bound to agree with every bit of criticism, no matter how sincere it is. I still welcome it, because it's coming from someone who also clearly cares about wine even if it isn't mine. At the very least we're spending time talking meaningfully about our beverages, haha. And drinking them very likely.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back