Scales

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guapo

Reaction score
Guapo needs to know what kind of scales to get to weigh my fruit.
Be mindful that I don't have Donald Trumps money though.
smiley19.gif

I've checked into some Postal Scales, but they seem to be very expensive and don't weigh more than a few pounds. My bathroom scales are digital and are hard to get to weigh anything under 15 lbs. Any ideas would be appreciated.

PS. I just love the smell of a batch fermenting when I walk into the wine room!

Those are your only 2 options, as far as I know, for consumer friendly purchase. IMHO, the best choice would be Postal type, and build the batch by several weighings. Not long ago, I was in the scale business. Doing market research on the low end market. I found the shelf price for postal scales at Office Depot was less than my Distributor cost for a 24/ case lot.

If you are talking about a scale to weigh the fruit I would go to one of the "kitchen" stores and get one that goes up to at least5#. Also look for something big enough so that you can see the #'s when the fruit is on top.

If your bath scales are accurate then no need to buy anything else. If you can't weigh under 15 pounds, then just hold the container of fruit (like a plastic bag full), then just subtract your weight to give you the weight of the fruit.

Example: Jim weighs himself and finds heweighs inat 150 pounds. He decides to make some strawberry wine for his wife. She just took out some frozen strawberries she had in the freezer and puts them in a plastic grocery bag and hands them to Jim. Weighing them and himself he finds he now weighs 162.5 pounds. Subtracting his weight of 150 pounds he knows he has 12.5 pounds of strawberries to work with.

appleman said:
Example: Jim weighs himself and finds heweighs inat 150 pounds. He decides to make some strawberry wine for his wife. She just took out some frozen strawberries she had in the freezer and puts them in a plastic grocery bag and hands them to Jim. Weighing them and himself he finds he now weighs 162.5 pounds. Subtracting his weight of 150 pounds he knows he has 12.5 pounds of strawberries to work with.

Appleman,

How did you know? Fritz - it's like your related to Kreskin or something.
smiley2.gif

On the subject of the scale, I use a Salter kitchen scale. Keep in mind that I found it for much less than the listed price on Salter's website. If weigh anything more than 10 pounds, I just set aside the 10 or so pounds of source material, tare out the original weighing vessel, and then weigh the next chunk of goods. I'vealso used this scale for weighing honey for mead.

- Jim

I use a fishing scale hanging in the garage next to the freezer. I have not calibrated it, but I think its close enough to get me near where I want to be. I put my frozen berries in a plastic grocery bag and weigh them as I take them out to steam them.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I happened in to the Old Tyme Pottery near Gulf Shores, Alabama and found a Kitchen scale that weighs up to 11lbs for $9.95. I think it will be more accurate than my guestimations anyway.
Now, if I can find some fruit that weighs 11 lbs for $9.95, I will be elated!
Again thanks!

Guapo
smiley20.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back