Say CHEESE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dove into a French goat brie called "Florette." Oh, the hircine goodness! 🐐 😋

(Stock photo, as mine did not turn out well.)

large_d2c6a70e-ef10-436b-a438-b0883c38f07c.jpg

Not real if they didn't.
Nope. Good curds stop squeaking when they are no longer fresh. Pop 'em in the microwave for 6 to 8 seconds to refresh them.

Usually Not the ones I get at Aldi. When I’m back in upstate NY I get fresh ones at the fly creek cider mill. they squeak also love the ones from the cheese house on route 7A outside Arlington VT.
I grew up north of Utica and have family in the Fulton/Mexico area. When we visit, we always get cheese curd. Nothing I can get locally is anywhere near as good!

Nope. Good curds stop squeaking when they are no longer fresh. Pop 'em in the microwave for 6 to 8 seconds to refresh them.

I grew up north of Utica and have family in the Fulton/Mexico area. When we visit, we always get cheese curd. Nothing I can get locally is anywhere near as good!
I used to do a lot of fishing out that way. Came to Florida from just outside Fonda.
good tip on the microwave- never knew that.

I used to do a lot of fishing out that way. Came to Florida from just outside Fonda.
good tip on the microwave- never knew that.
It took me a bit to remember where I knew Fonda from. As a teenager, I went to a few races at the Fonda Speedway. Plus my wife went to SUNY Albany, and during her senior year I made the drive to Albany every other weekend, so the Speedway signs stuck in my mind.

Yeah, the microwave tip is a good one -- just don't overdo it. It just takes a bit to return 'em to squeaking.

Usually Not the ones I get at Aldi. When I’m back in upstate NY I get fresh ones at the fly creek cider mill. they squeak also love the ones from the cheese house on route 7A outside Arlington VT.
Best cheese curds ever are from Ellsworth creamery in Ellsworth Wisconsin.

Really? Wow, I didn't know that. (sarcasm) Sorry for the joke. 😄 I grew up in northern Illinois. I have a friend who brings me lots of genuine (er...fresh) curds every year from WI, on his annual Easter trek. No microwaving necessary.

When I was a kid there was a small cheese factory just down the road. It seemed like there was one on every corner in WI. If you stopped by in the morning they would go right to the tank and scoop out FRESH curds 😋. They were all salty with brine yet and squeaked when you just looked at them. And the smell in the cheeses factory was out of this world!

When I was a kid there was a small cheese factory just down the road. It seemed like there was one on every corner in WI. If you stopped by in the morning they would go right to the tank and scoop out FRESH curds 😋. They were all salty with brine yet and squeaked when you just looked at them. And the smell in the cheeses factory was out of this world!

Yep, those were good days when I was a young man and we'd to drive up with a cooler in the car and see friends right in the middle of polka land, with dozens of radio stations playing polka music and sounding like "The Lawrence Welk Show" 24/7/365, and we'd stop at almost any ole beef and cheese store, or cheese and beef store, that we came across. IIRC, there was an especially dense concentration around Kaukauna. One in particular, the name escapes me, but it was a fav.

Some of the meat products from mom and pop shops are just out of this world up there, too, IMO. Always came back with the cooler stocked. Now, my sis and BIL do that a lot, and they also bring back cases of Spotted Cow, lol...

We'd go rolling through the dairy lands, listening to polkas... Here's a pic from when a couple girls we met up there invited us to have a swim... so fun... Don, my friend in the pic, married the blonde, moved to California, and years later got divorced.

TRUE POOL.jpg

Back