Satsuma Wine?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
I added bentonite at the beginning of the fermentation, added all the additives, then yeast and sealed the fermentor with an air lock. I only checked the Sp Gr a couple of times during fermentation. After the Sp Gr got to below 1.0, transferred to a Secondary.
I'm doing more and more of my "country white" wines this way.

Cxwgfamily

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that citrus wines are very sensitive to oxygen. I opened a bottle of my Ruby Red Grapefruit wine last week. I was really good for a rookie like me. (I need to work on the acidity/sweetness balance). I drank a couple of glasses on the first day, but after a day and a half in the refrig it developed the "nutty" taste on the finish. Most of my wines last 4 to 7 days before they start to degrade. The taste was the same as the Satsuma wine i made last year the old way.

I think I am going to start making all my wines from juices this "new" way. It is my understanding that most of the Kit wines have started recommending this method of primary fermentation.

cxwgfamily.

Johnd

Sanitized Member
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Update on the satsuma wine. I dumped it yesterday. Nothing went wrong with it, nice and clear, had done some back sweetening, and it tasted OK, but that's it, just OK. Guess I'm just not a fan of it and didn't really want to make room for 30 bottles of OK wine, and feel a little guilty about giving away wine that I wouldn't like to drink. All in all, only a few bucks and a little time wasted. I'm sure I could have started messing with adding other things to it, or make a dessert type wine or something along those lines, just didn't feel like messing with it.