Santa's Christmas Cheer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcasey

Reaction score
Time and patience really pays off!
I saw this recipe on another forum and it looked so promising I had to try. I started this mel in 2007 and bottled it a year later. At the time, taste testing was not very impressive and all the flavors were at war with each other. I opened a bottle last year and still it was pretty raw. With all the cold (by my standards) I decided some warm mulled wine would be nice. I remembered about this one and decided to give it a shot. I saved a glass off to the side and mulled the rest. I kept coming back to that glass I set aside and wow this was really good and with the spices it also made a great mulling wine.

Here is my version of the recipe.

5 lbs. Cranberry Honey

4 lbs. Christmas Berry Honey

1 lb. Macadamia Nut Honey

2 lbs fresh cranberries, crushed
2 lbs blueberries, frozen and thawed, crushed
juice of 1 oranges
zest from the orange
1 oz. by weight fresh ginger - coarsely chopped
1/2 oz. by weight ripe dried juniper berries - cracked
6 allspice corns – cracked

1/2 oz. by weight Carmondon
3-1/2 gallons water
pectic enzyme
10g ICV-D47, rehydrated with Go-Ferm per Lallemand directions

In Secondary:
1 oz. by weight ripe juniper berries (added in the secondary to extract and preserve maximum aroma)
2 madagascar vanilla pods, slit lengthwise
Sorry I don't have any pictures other then the label and for some reason I can't upload the pic right now. I'll try again later.

Where on Gods Earth do you get all these honeys? I have never seen any of those!

The cranberry was from that site I gave you a while back and the others I got from a site in Hawaii that is no longer up.

Back