SantaRosa Plum Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ChuckGauthier

Reaction score
Just started SantaRosa Plum Wine.......could not pass up sign that said plums are ripe and falling, help yourself......I did to the tune of about 40 lbs.......Used receipi from site for Plum,

6.5 gal batch
SG 1.110
35 lbs of Plum, 5 reserved for f pak
Pasteur Champagne Yeast
will test acid after ferment

On deck......huckleberri again, same size batch
.....,Big Yellow Plums
In Secondary...5 gal Rasberri, 6 gal blackberry, 1 gal thimbelberry/red huckleberri.......will let you know how it goes

1) I hope you washed your plums in soda ash. Plums have a layer of wax on the skin that makes it difficult to clear. Soda ash (household soda) removes that wax and your wine will clear automatically.

2) Plums will give you a blush wine and not dark red. So I think an SG of 1110 is terribly overshot. About 14,8% alcohol is in my opinion way to high for a plum wine.

3) You did not test acid. So what if your wine is too acidic. Can happen easily if the plums were not ripe. Adjusting acid after fermentation is much more difficult als adjusting upfront.
My last years plums had an acidity of 10 !!!!! If that happens to you with your high SG you will have rocket fuel !!!
Blending is then your only option........

Read my story on plums here:
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/08/pruimentijd-2009-plums-again.html

Luc

Latest posts

Back