It's Huckleberry pickin' time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Hi All,

It's been a long while since my last visit here, I thought I'd better do lots of reading here to refresh my memory. I'm really rusty on the whole wine making process, I've only made one batch of wine so far, that was fresh blackberry and it was surprisingly delightful.
Beginner's luck, no doubt.

Anyway, I think I have most of what I need already so should be able to keep the expenses down a bit this time.

Last week we headed for higher ground and picked about 6 lbs of huckleberries. I washed them and culled any debris, stems or unripe berries, placed them in two 1 gallon freezer bags and layed them in the freezer. Hope to get out at least one more time this week, I'd love to pick enough for a 5 gal batch. I have some work ahead of me.

We live in Washington state and there are some pretty good patches within 35 miles or so. Weather is beautiful, the berries are ripe or ripening ... couldn't ask for more.
I've never tried huckleberry wine but I love huckleberries and these will be fresh so I'd imagine they'll make a tasty wine.
I'm guessing that I'll probably need about 6 lbs of berries per gallon of wine but I could be off with that estimate ... truth is I'll pick as many as I can and make as much wine as that will produce.

I saw a recipe or two here but if anyone knows of a great huckleberry wine recipe, please let me know.

Like I said, I'm rusty, dusty and just now getting back into giving this a shot. Fortunately, I kept a log book of exactly what I did for the one and only batch that I've made so far, that should come in handy in refreshing my memory on the process and I'll be sure to keep good notes from this batch.

Hopefully I have what I need, I'm on a tight budget right now.
If you see that I'm missing something essential, please let me know. I don't know my yeasts but I hope the Premier Cuve'e will do the trick with huckleberries.

I have no doubt that I'm still beginner enough to have more of that beginner's luck I mentioned, but to be on the safe side, please wish me luck anyway.

Thanks,

Checklist:
6 lbs huckleberries (more soon)
? Sugar
1 5 gal glass carboy w/ stoppers
4 1 gal glass jugs w/ caps
1 6 gal plastic fermenting bucket
1 3 gal plastic fermenting bucket
2 air locks
1 kitchen scale
1 100x0.01g digital scale
5 Red Star Premier Cuve'e yeast packets
4 oz Potassium Meta-Bisulfite
50 Campden tablets
4 oz acid blend
1 acid testing kit
4 oz pectic enzyme
8 oz Fermax - yeast nutrient
1 oz potassium sorbate - stabilizer
1 large strainer bag
1 brewer's thermometer
1 hydrometer
1 plastic measuring spoons
1 5' plastic tubing for racking
1 glass racking tube
1 plastic stir spoon
2 plastic funnels
1 ~ 3 gal enameled cast iron pot w/ glass lid
(I use the last item on the list to sterilize things and could use it for heating/ cooking as needed)

Last edited:
Your acid test kit is probably out of date. They have about a year of shelf life. Sorbate is likely to be weak also. Mite want to replace it also. Other than that, looks like you are in pretty good shape. Get after them berries. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thanks guys, we're off to go pickin' within the hour, as soon as the Acetaminophen kicks in!

Yes, I wondered about the shelf life of some of these chems.
I'll look for any expiration dates, there may be one on the Acid Kit, but doubtful on the Sorbate (lable was a tad on the crude side, dot-matrix ... I didn't know they even made those any more).
As for the yeast, I wouldn't want to risk the possibility of it not being in prime shape.

... off we go, we're headin' for the hills!

Dave

We picked 9-1/2 lbs of huckleberries today.
That was about all by aching back could handle.

Total of 15-1/4 lbs total so far. I'm aiming for a minimum of 20 lbs of berries to make a 5 gal batch so one more day of pickin' should do it.

Here's a recipe for Huckleberry Wine on Jack Keller's site that looks like a pretty good one, it calls for 4 lbs of berries per gal of wine.

In this 5 gal batch I'll be using the hydrometer to gauge the correct amount of sugar (rather than just go by the recipe) and using 1/4 tsp pure K-Meta rather than the Campden Tablet(s).
IMHO recipe's, in general, are only meant to be a guide rather than taken verbatim. No doubt the other ingredients are spot on.
(Your thoughts or suggestions are welcome, it's always nice to know what others think is best too).

I'm just freezing my berries while I pick more, didn't want to risk leaving them in the fridge that long. If I remember correctly, freezing berries for wine making is not a bad thing and even helps in breaking the cell structure down.
Hope I'm remembering correctly, huckleberries don't last very long in the fridge.

Last edited:
You're remembering correctly...

Might consider gathering more berries if your back can take it, or making 3 gallons instead of 5, with the 20lbs of berries.. 35-40lbs would be better for 5 gallons, I'd think..

Jack Keller can some times/most times, be "light in fruit, heavy in sugar".. Makes for a light-flavored wine, most times... Upping the lbs/gallon usually helps some, although I dont know that I've ever tasted a huckleberry..

I don't know what huckleberries are like either. If they are small intense fruits you mite get away with the 4 lb. per gallon. If they are bigger light flavored fruits you will probably need more fruit per gallon. I know, it is a lot of work to pick the extra fruit, but it is usually worth it. Arne.

These (wild huckleberries) do have "very intense" flavor ... I'd describe that taste as strong and "very" sweet/ tart when ripe. Nothing like the fairly bland flavor of blueberries (wild or domestic). I'd say a lot more intense than fully ripe blackberries.
I think the intensity has a lot to do with their fairly harsh environment, longer snow-pack but perfect elevation, light conditions and very fertile soil (lots of decaying stumps etc).
Berries are small maybe 5/16" diameter with a few up to 3/8".

That said, I do want to be sure to carry forward that unique flavor.
I'll pick as many as I can, hopefully we'll have another productive day. If we were to get another 9.5 lbs that would make nearly 5 lbs (4.95 lbs) of berries per gal of wine.
With their unique intensity, I'm thinking this should make a full flavored, full bodied but smooth tasting wine.
Just to be sure, I'll decrease the quantity of water added slightly from the recipe and see where we stand in terms of overall quantity after that.
I know you can never really have too much in the way of fruit or berries ... if the season lasts I may be able to even get out another time and pick some more ... since I'm freezing them anyway.

I appreciate your input!

Thank You,

Dave

Can I use local Honey instead sugar?

I was curious if I could use some local honey instead of white refined sugar in the recipe that I found (Jack Keller's).

If not, what about using dark brown sugar or other?

I added some raisins to the black berry wine I made and that was very good, any thoughts on adding raisins.

Just searching for something to round out the tart flavor a tiny bit, I suppose I'll never really know without some experimentation but also should try unknown combinations with 1 gal batches in case it doesn't turn out as good as what I imagine it would.

Honey would work, helps bring some viscosity to the wine as well as some wildflower notes... 1 quart is about 3lbs, makes about a gallon..

Brown or dark brown sugar has molasses in it, similiar to Rum
Not really something I find meshing with most berry-fruits

Might look into some additives called Opti-Red, Booster Rouge & FT Rouge.. First two are made from yeast fractions - parts of particular yeast strains - and do a number of things for a wine.. The third is a tannin addition..

Raisins might add complexity, I'd go with goldens as their flavor is lighter

Hi Deezil,

Like the idea of using honey in place of refined sugar.
Enough honey might get a bit expensive so perhaps I can go half and half until must is 1.085 sg. (well stirred before testing)
1) Is this a good sg to aim for or is 1.080 better ... (I like a fairly dry wine but don't mind if this one has a touch of sweetness)?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

I'll Forgo the brown sugar.

2) Use 1-2 cups of golden raisins per 5 gal (well washed, blanched and chopped)? (more)?

I'll also look into the additives that you mention and read up on them.

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have neither seen or tried huckleberry. Are they a sweet fruit?

Sweet but quite tart. I love 'em but then again, I grew up pickin' 'em. I could see how some people might not like them, it's a unique taste, one that reminds me of the high mountain ranges here in Washington state.

If you ever get the opportunity, try a slice of huckleberry pie sometime. Most huckleberry pie has way too much sugar added IMO, but you'll get a good idea of what huckleberries are all about.

Thawed out my huckleberries today

Hi All,

Finally got some free time so started my 5 gal batch of Huckleberry wine today.
20 lbs of frozen berries nearly filled a 5 gal bucket. (I wouldn't want it any fuller, only have one 6 gal bucket and used that for the pears below).
Also added 2 lbs of raisins (after chopping and blanching them).
I boiled 2 gal of water and added 10# of sugar to it and it's very near the brim now. I hope there's enough room for the froth when I toss the yeast starter in 24 hrs from now. Will check Sg just prior to tossing the yeast and will aim for 1.090 starting.

Also started some Pear wine today using 35# of Starkrimson Pears for a 5 gal. batch.
I washed, cut into 1" cubes and froze these also. When they thawed out they were very easy to mash and basicly turned to an applesause consistency.
Added 1lb of chopped/ blanched golden raisins
Added enough sugar to bring the Sg to 1.085

Have my starter going now so it should be good and ready to toss tomorrow.

Fun stuff, these will be my first 5 gal batches so wish me luck.
I think all should go well, I followed the recipes closely and have done a lot of reading here and elsewhere.

I'll post my progress.
See my Log Book (below)

Last edited:
If you have a bakery anywhere close, stop by and ask if they have any buckets. Probably get em for free or fora small price. Worth a shot, then even if they only have a small one you can split your batch some. Make sure they are food grade. If you are close to the top of the bucket, I can almost guarentee the ferment will come over the top. It is kinda a unwritten law, must close to the top, violent ferment, must down a safe distance, just perculate along nice and slow. Guess how I know. LOL, Arne.

Last edited:
Hi Arne,

I took some must and berries from my 5 gal container and put them into a 3 gal pail then rechecked Sg of all for 1.090 starting.
Tossed yeast into both huckleberry pails and also tossed yeast into Pear must. Covered all with clean dishtowels tied around rim.

Also started a 3 gal batch of Sultana/ Raspberry today.
Will toss yeast starter for that tomorrow.

I'm finding doing several batches at once is nearly as easy as doing one since I have everything sanitized and ready to go.
In fact, I've found that making a 5 gal batch is really no more work than a 1 gal batch.

In fact, I've found that making a 5 gal batch is really no more work than a 1 gal batch.[/QUOTE]

Yepper, and at least a 5 gal. batch lasts a little while. 1 gal. can disappear while tasting and checking the batch out. Least it can here, darn wine gremlins. Arne.

Latest posts

Back