Sanitizing my hands

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I am about ready to rack to secondary. I am supposed to squeeze out the grape skin bag prior to racking. What is the proper method of sanitizing my hands? B-Brite solution? K-meta solution or the gas given off? Rubber/plastic gloves (cleaned and sanitized with the preceding)?

Thanks!
Mike

Most here keep K-meta in a spray bottle. Spray your hands.

Wash your hands well, and you'll be fine. There is a difference between sterile and sanitized - sterilize means (roughly) to destroy all germs and microorganisms, typically by boiling or irradiating. Unless you're at the CDC working with bioterrorism materials, you're not going to need a truly sterile room or environment. Sanitize means to get the germs down to a low enough concentration that they won't contaminate your wine - the alcohol does a pretty good job of killing whatever bits you don't kill or weaken by washing/disinfecting your hands and equipment.

Looking at in reverse, if the room and equipment was actually sterile, the yeast fermenting your juice (and you!) would be dead too!

after you are done when your hands are stained, rinse off w a kmeta spray immediately and you will reduce the stains on your hands esp the ones that get into calouses

I just this morning racked off my merlot to which I had added a bag of fresh frozen blackberries in the primary. I washed and dried my hands, slipped on a pair of new nitrile gloves, rinsed them off and then sprayed with K-meta solution, then patted dry with a paper towel. Sanitized? No. Reasonably clean? Yes...but the main advantage to me was when I was through squeezin I didn't have blackberry cuticles.

I keep hand sanitizer in the area for which I always use when handling anything wine related. When spraying my equipment before use I also spray my hands.

What are those.......
smiley36.gif

Al Fulchino said:
esp the ones that get into calouses

I use a large "china cap" that I bought at a restaurant supply store. (bottom picture here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinoise)

It fits across the primary. I use a pair of tongs to pick up the bag and put it in the China Cap. Then I use the stirring spoon to squeeze the bag against the sides of the China Cap. Leave it sit a few minutes (or whatever it takes.

The China Cap is also effective if the skins aren't in a bag. I use a skimmer to scoop up the skins and put them in the China Cap.

Steve

I put on a pair of disposable glove (the ones without powder), wash hands with them on, spray hands with K-mata, squeeze like crazy. I do this daily while grape packs are in bucket. If the grape skins are loose in the bucket I squeeze the skins that float.

BTW, whoever invented the spray bottle of K-meta should get the Nobel Prize for Wine making.

I use the disposable glove method myself. I caried it one step further though and got the purple, grape flavored ones from my Dentist

Waldo said:
I use the disposable glove method myself. I caried it one step further though and got the purple, grape flavored ones from my Dentist

I've never tasted mine, I suspect they taste like grape anyway
smiley17.gif

Waldo said:

I didn't know that rubber (gloves) came flavored too.
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back