Sanitizer of choice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billaban

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I'm getting ready to do my first batch and am curious what the preferred sanitizer is?

I have been home brewing for many years w/out contamination issues by simply using boiling water to clean EVERYTHING before and after use. I'm thinking that approach will not be plausible for wine making for things like the hydrometer, auto-siphon, plastic racking canes, my 13 gallon carboys, etc..

Suggestions?

Billaban

Generally potassium metabisulfite solution with some citric acid is what most winemakers use for sanitizing equipment. But there are a few other commercial sanitizers as well (e.g. Starsan).

That being said, winemaking is more forgiving than beer brewing. The acid and alcohol level of wine is almost self preservative. At least bacteria harmful to humans can't live in it. But some bacteria that can spoil wine can (e.g. acetobacter).

I exclusively use Iodophor, an iodine-based sanitizer. After rigorous cleaning with B-Brite cleanser, I use Iodophor for carboys, equipment, tubing, and bottles. Others on this board use it but probably a minority. It does not have to be rinsed off after a soaking. My LHBS says it probably costs less than K-Meta; I have not run the numbers. Iodine-based sanitizers in their concentrated form can stain equipment and counter tops. That is not a problem in correctly diluted amounts. I have yet to stain anything permanently with it other than tubing that has a slight tint. I mix the original batch as per instructions but over time the solution can become dilute (lighter in color). On the fly, you can accurately estimate the proper concentration from the color of the mixed iodine solution. If its very pale orange or very dark orange to brown, it is not the proper concentration. I like that color indicator.

Your K-Meta sanitizer you make up is clear and can, unbeknownst to you, lose its concentration over time. K-Meta requires storage in non-metal containers. Short of testing for its strength, there is little feasible way to determine the effective concentration of K-Meta. Over time it loses its strength, as does iodine-based sanitizers. K-Meta does age on the shelf, losing some of its effectiveness but it's not talked about much. Some asthmatics are allergic to K-Meta and cannot use it without exacerbating an asthmatic attack. K-Meta will corrode metal such as the spring in your bottling wand and other metal parts.

Used properly, both are satisfactory sanitizers; both have advantages and disadvantages. Some on this board have called K-Meta the "gold standard" of sanitizers but that does not mean it is without its limitations.

I soak most items in iodine from 2 to 4 minutes, depending upon the concentration. It seems too good to be true that you just spray something on your equipment for 5 seconds and BAM, it's sanitized. Over time you can let your experience be your guide. If you have trouble with off-odors or objects floating in your wine, you should evaluate whether you are using an adequate sanitizer and appropriate cleaning and sanitizing techniques.

I think adherence to a set routine is critical. Mine is: wash/scrub clean with B-Brite, rinse with water, soak in Iodophor, let dry & use soon. After use, rinse well, wash/scrub clean with B-Brite, rinse with water, soak in Iodophor, put away dry. Next time, start over again. The rinsing WELL immediately after use I think is a critical part of the routine as it avoids a lot of potential problems, especially with bottles just drunk & emptied.

Others may do things differently and that's OK too.

NS

I use Star San , and have had no problems. I find the fumes from kmeta to be bothersome.

Last edited:
I use Star San, it's easy to mix and use and a 32 oz bottle will last a very long time:br

StarSan. I mix it in gallon jugs of distilled water. It lasts a long time and gives you a container to keep it in. I also use plastic dish pans for soaking.

Easy Clean, an oxidizer cleaner similar to One Step. I mix it in gallon jugs like several above said. That's all I use on everything. I spritz k meta on the bottom of my corks before they go in. Works for me.

I clean everything with One Step, rinse with water and then spray it with Star San and then use it. After I rack or bottle, I rinse everything with water, clean everything with One Step. Then I usually run K-Meta through everything and put it all away until I need it again. Then I start the process all over when I start my next batch.

I can work in my yard all morning and at lunch eat a sandwich outside without washing my hands and it doesn’t bother me, but when it comes to the wine I make sure everything is clean & sanitized. I guess I might be a little OCD when it comes to wine making.

Sanatized

Thanks for all the advice folks. I have some other questions but I'll start another thread (or two) since the topics are different. Thanks again. Getting ready to start batch #1 TODAY.

Latest posts

Back