Sangria

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNFISHRMAN

Reaction score
Does any one know of a Sangria recipe that has the fruit in it and is fermented?? There is a Taylor brand that can be bought in the store. I have been asked if I could make it. The only recipes that I see are for Sangria punch. Any help is appreciated, Lynn

When I was in spain they used red wine and added the fruits to the pitcher of wine. stired up and gave us glasses.

I know that I have seen that also and that is the way most recipes are made forSangria punch.

I would like to use grapes or grape juiceas the primary ingredient and then add oranges, lemons, limes and maybe strawberries and ferment to make a wine. This appears to be what this Taylor company has done in making the Sangria you can buy off the shelf in the Store.

Anyone ever saw a recipe like this??

TNFISHRMAN said:
I know that I have seen that also and that is the way most recipes are made forSangria punch.

Nope, notsangria punch- that's Sangria, true to form. That's the way they have done it for years in Spain. The only way that some recipes differ from what you get in Spain is when they add a carbonated beverage, like ginger ale or tonic water, to the sangria.

ETA: Keep in mind there is no "one right way" of making sangria. Most sangria that I saw (or had) in Spain had lemons, apples and oranges cut up in it. But I've seen recipes with peaches and nectarines. Also, some places may add brandy or cognac to the mix.

TNFISHRMAN said:
I would like to use grapes or grape juiceas the primary ingredient and then add oranges, lemons, limes and maybe strawberries and ferment to make a wine. This appears to be what this Taylor company has done in making the Sangria you can buy off the shelf in the Store.

Anyone ever saw a recipe like this??

Actually, most of those commercial sangrias that you see are made the same way as homemade sangria, except they've removed the fruit pulp and added only juices. But those juices are added post-fermentation; that is to say, they are not fermented along with the grapes in the red wine.

I suppose you can ferment citris fruits and berries along with grapes, but that would be something of a "cornocopia of fruit"wine rather than sangria.Edited by: Funky Fish

Back