RJ Spagnols Sangria with Seville Orange

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
I used my birthday discount and ordered up the Orchard Breezin Sangria with Seville Orange. Has anyone tried this or have any comments. It just sounded good. This will be our 1st RJ Spagnols kit. Thanks!

Looks like we'll be the 1st. Will keep everyone posted when we start.

I am really excited to try it but I just bottled 2 kits of their Kiwi Melon and am about to start 2 more kits of Cranberry Chianti (I recommend both those BTW) - will prolly try 2 of their new ones late this summer after that.

Got an e-mail from George today. They are out of the Sangria until next week. Must be a good one to try then. Thanks Univity for the heads up on those 2 kits.

So how is the sangria going? I am interested. I think my wife would like this kit.

Just wanted to let you all know that the Sangria kit is AMAZING!!! Even my husband, who isn't a wine drinker, is in love with it. In the past 2 weeks since I bottled it, he's polished off 5 bottles all on his own! I think it needs to come with a warning about how addictive it is... especiallyconsidering howhot and nasty as this summer has been. I just ordered two more kits because this one will be gone in no time. So far everyone who has tasted it has begged to buy a few bottles from me, so I'd have to say this is a real hit. Give it a try... you won't be disappointed!

Wow, that's good to hear. We will be starting our kit next week and am really looking forward to it after reading how much you like it. Good review Jodisplace.

I thought that kit sounded amazing - don't know if anything can top their Kiwi Melon though - I went thought 100 bottles of that one last year alone :p (I dont think I drank it all myself - at least i hope not)

Their new pomegranite zinfandel sounds good too - those Orchard Breezin kits are very tasty - although I have had some wine snob friends not like them because of the non grape flavor in there

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how it turned our for you too. I will hopefully be ordering a kit of it next month - I have already surpassed my winemaking budget this month :pEdited by: univity

My wife is not a fruit wine person, but absolutely loves this Sangria. It is wonderful for hot summer nights.

I have this kit and am going to make it soon and have a question - the instructions say that in Step 1 top up to 23 liters (6 gal) - then, after you stabilize and clear around day 14, it says to add the sweetening blend - and rack into a 6 gal carboy. The sweetening package is 1.4 liters so that will be more than 23 liters - so I'm wondering if I should only top up to about 22 liters for primary fermentation??? Or, after leaving the lees, have you lost a liter or so and that is why they recommend to top up to 23 liters in the beginning?
thanks for suggestions!!
Wayne

You will lose some during transfer and you may have to extract some to fit the F-Pack in there but fill it to 23 liters for now or you will have an unbalanced wine.

The instructions also say to siphon off 2L of wine, add the f-pack, and then top up with the 2L reserved.

Thanks Wade and Dean - Yes, I went ahead and topped up to 23 liters for primary fermentation and I see now about pulling out 2 liters and I guess not all of that will be needed to top offafter the racking - thanks again!
Wayne

We bottled the Sangria on August 31. Got 28 bottles and the initial taste was very good. Tried out our new filter with this wine. Also looking forward to the 1st bottle.

Just transferred mine to carboy at day 14 today - I worried about having excess wine for nothing. After adding the f-pack and topping off with the reserved wine, there really wasn't anything left in the fermenter - I only drew about one glass of wine off of it after I was done and the rest was just lees.

Glad all is well there Wayne. Moose, which filter did you get, the Vinbrite gravity? THATS WHAT i have and must say it works great, its cheap, and doesnt take up much room. Only downfall is the 45 minutes it takes but it really is a great product.

That's the same filter that we use Wade, the Vinbrite gravity. I think it works just fine. I thought about cutting a bigger hole in the cover to hold the filter so I wouldn't have to hold it. But in the end, I just propped it up so I could get other things ready for bottling that day.

Just a couple of pictures of the end product.

20080907_090241_100_0747_Small.jpg

20080907_090616_100_0746_Small.jpg

I have a bigger hole in my cover and use a rubber bung in there when using it as my primary bucket with airlock.

Latest posts

Back