samples dont seem promising

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyB78

Reaction score
Ok....I got a Shiraz, a blend (metlot, cab sav, cab franc), a white merlot, cherry and a tropical fruit blend(strawberrry, pineapple, bananna, mango) going aging now. this month I decided to check their progress. All of my wines look crytal clear so I am pretty happy there. My 2 dry reds (shiraz and the blend) seem like they are doing ok...however they really dont have any body kinda just dry with a grapey flavor thats about it. My white merlot seems good...a little sweeter than I anticipated but pretty decent. My cherry is awfully dry with a bite to it still. My trop blend seems too melow, but dry. I guess my question to whom ever is can I look for my wines to improve with age. I know aging is essential but..will my dry reds gain any body while aging. I guess those are the two I am most worried about. No complexity at all, granted they are only about 4 or 5 months old will they improve or what characteristics come with aging? And the trop blend same question I guess. any comments, suggestions would be awesome.

ok...yeah the shiraz and the dry red blend are kits. I think they were wine expert kits. the cherry was a juice concentrate in a can with fruit. The trop blend was fresh fruit only.

If they were low end WE kits (10L) then no they will not gain any body with age. It would also help to know the exact kit. If you want body and mouthfeel then you need the big kits (16L) with a grape pack or skins.

cool...I will definetly get the better kits next time...actually last time I went to shop near me that sells wine making supplies the owner was telling me that the kits WE makes are all switching to the bigger kits even the low end. I am guessing alot of people were also hoping to get a little more out of it. I assume there is no way to improve the lack of body or mouthfeel
is there....could you like add grape tannin or something like that?

Its too late for additional mouthfeel except for perhaps some glycerin. You can help lengthen the finish with some post fermentation tannin like Tancor Grand Cru.

johnnyB78, start reading this thread: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/when-good-wines-g-ne-bad-29481/

Glycerin helps mouthfeel for sure. Adding sugar to make a very sweet wine also improves mouthfeel. If you add sugar and also acid blend, you can improve mouthfeel at ther same time you are adding tartness. Msakes for an intersting combination. Bench test stuff first before doing the whole batch.

If you don't mind waiting for clearing again, the addition of a thickened juice or syrup can help. I know people who have used the syrup out of canned fruits as a backflavoring and backsweetening agent with succes in raising mouthfeel. Lighter syrups like peach are for the lighter wines; plum and the like is for the darker wines, etc.

I have not made a kit wine (yet), but many people swear by reducing the 6-gallon volume of the cheap kits to 5 gallons. They say that makes a dramatic improvement overall in the wine.

Last edited:
not familliar with glycerine, and whats your thoughts on the post fermentation tannins. can you tell me more about glycerine

I totally agree with the kit statement!!!! If you are looking to get a decent red wine you really need to step up to the grape skin kits!!!

Biolees also can make the wine taste a slight bit sweet. That's why it works so well to take the bite off a sharp chardonnay. Use it sparingly and before adding it to the whole batch, do a test on a small amount of wine, tasting as you go.

Gum arabic also can add mouth-feel. Morewine carries it as a product called liqui-gum. (Morewine also carries Biolees.)

Glycerin would be my last choice because of how quickly it can add a sweet taste to the wine. Add it carefully!

4 ounces of glycerin will not add sweetness to 6 gallons of dry wine but will add a bit of mouthfeel. In a low end kit I would even try 6 ounces but taste first. I add glycerin to about half of the kits I make.

I bought some from the wine supply shop near me. It says 1 to 2 oz per gallon, I have heard mixed opinions though some say not so much. and when is the best time to add?

I try to add a few weeks before bottling some add right at bottling. Just be sure your bench test. If you do a search you can find how many drops per ounce.

Latest posts

Back