Safale mess up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
Hi,
I messed up with my lates winemaking attempt. I wasn't paying attention and instead of putting wine yeast into the must, I put ale yeast.
Does anyone know how bad it going to taste and if there is any chance of getting it to clear properly?
It was a catawba grape must sg 1.09.

How far along is the ferment? What is the sg? I would skim the top, rack and if you have any of the grapes rinse lightly and add wine yeast make a yeast starter first, you want the wine yeast to take over the ferment. How does it taste, smell?

It's 4 days into the ferment. Sg is at 1.04. Taste is okay, but more yeasty than I'd like. Smells like fermenting must, sweet.

What is the alcohol limit on your ale yeast? If it tastes ok, gonna be yeasty while fermenting, see it goes dry or close to it. Mite just work out fine. If it quits, you can always add a different yeast then. Arne.

Let it ride, see how low it goes. It mite even decide to ferment dry. Sometimes they will make more alc. than they are supposed to. If it quits and you want it to finish, try adding some champaine yeast or ec118. Good luck with it, Arne.

Let it ride, see how low it goes. It mite even decide to ferment dry. Sometimes they will make more alc. than they are supposed to. If it quits and you want it to finish, try adding some champaine yeast or ec118. Good luck with it, Arne.

I wouldn't mind if it stops at 10%, SWMBO would probably like a sweet wine...

Back