WineXpert S.G. too low?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmcirig

Reaction score
New step, new question
smiley4.gif
I'm onto the stabilising. So I checked the sg last night & I will again today to see that they are the same.
But last night the sg was .988
smiley5.gif
My kit instructions say that it should be .998 or lower. And indeed this is lower, but it's a lot lower... So I was just wondering if anyone had any insight and could possibly reassure me that everything will be A OK
smiley36.gif

BTW- my kit is Pinot Noir Winexpert Selection Premium. Thanks!!

Everything is fine...curious as to what your starting sg was? I never see that low of a sg but some of the factors that influence the readingare your line of sight on the hydrometer and temperature but rest assured you are doing great.

I have 4 kits going at the same time. Two of the kits are at 0.988 and two at 0.998. Same temp, same time, etc... The only notable difference is that the two at 0.988 are whites.

Masta responded before I got there and then lost my reply when IE shut down. It is low, but that's fine. It just means it is good and dry so no worry about an incomplete fermentation there. Temperature could influence the reading some and like Masta says, if you read at an odd angle it could look lower than it is. It is right on and you are doing a great job. Can't wait to taste it when you have the open house party!
smiley4.gif

Thanks
smiley4.gif

I think at the first step it was 1.096. Don't know how I can remember that since I can hardly remember what I had for dinner last night
smiley36.gif

Actually the hydrometer does read at an angle, for some reason it just doesn't like to stay straight! So I wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly. Maybe it was a little higher...

Appleman- I'm in the lower part of NY, so it's going to be quite some ride for you. I guess some time in December or January- I'll keep you updated!
smiley4.gif

I use a recipe file holder filled with index cards. Just jot your notes down on the card. It's easy to record and helpful in remembering such stuff. I keep a pen right there next to it and keep the file in the winemaking area.

Sure, you pick that time of year with the snow to contend with!

That's a good idea, I'm just using a notebook.

lol- I'd like to drink it sooner, but I keep reading about these "patience" I'm supposed to employ
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Lmcirig

Lmcirig said:
lol- I'd like to drink it sooner, but I keep reading about these "patience" I'm supposed to employ
smiley36.gif

Lisa, use as much patience as you can. We only have 17 out of the 30 bottles of the same wine that you are making, and I really regret that we drank so many before their time. Mine is only about 4 1/2 months in the bottle even now, and really tastes marvelous now compared when we had our first bottles. I only hope we have some left for Thanksgiving. The main reason that we went through so many is that I made it as a graduation wine for my daughter's graduation party.

If you do try a bottle or two way early, don't judge the wine at that point. Mine really does taste like a fine vine wine at this point.

At least we have the second batch intact. A Gerwertzerminer....I'm not going check the spelling. And I still need to bottle 2 gallons of a peach wine made made from nectar. But I really need to get another red going soon, or I'll keep crying a bit with every Pinot Noir I open.

Brian

Brian, did you bulk age it at all, or did you go right into the bottle?

Now I can't wait to try some
smiley31.gif
I'm going toattempt to wait it out before I taste any. Thanks! I wonder though if it'll be okay to drink by Christmas...

You should take a few bottles and put them under lock and key! And make sure you aren't the one with the key- so you aren't tempted to open it before Thanksgiving!!!!Edited by: Lmcirig

Lisa, I followed the package instructions, since I was in a hurry to let it be in the bottles at least a few weeks before trying it. No bulk aging.

Regarding your wine being drinkable by Christmas, I can only say that the real change in mine occurred at about three full months in the bottle. Up until that point, I really didn't care for the 'nose' but the taste was good. But the taste also had some of the tartness that some posters have been discussing. Now, after 3 full months in the bottle, it is very smooth and delicious. Sorry I can't do the wine terms like 'overtones of lead pencil'. LOL.

http://www.wine-lovers-page.com/cgi-bin/lexicon/gd.cgi?w=327

One other note about my own. Since it was my first wine and my racking skills weren't so hot, I had to top off with about three liters of wine. I really probably should have used a better wine to do so, but I used Carlo Rossi Paisano. Again, LOL.

Good luck and enjoy.

Brian

Edited by: BrianD

Thats okay Brian- I can't do the wine lingo yet either
smiley4.gif
I've never even seen this lead pencil thing before! I guess the wine will be about 4 months old by Christmas. I may open a bottle or 2.

It makes me feel better knowing that you've made this wine too- thanks!

I use big tags that they sell at Staples and they have strings on them
that I tie in a not and put right on the carboy with all my notes like
starting SG and racking SG'S and dates. This way when you get a few
carboys going that look the same you dont forget which ones which. I
dont think Ive ever heard of a gravity that low but can add that I dont
think I'd worry about it not being done yet!
smiley36.gif
Here is a picture of the tags that I use and when Im done I'll just hang them on a hook all together.

20070815_164134_The_Full_Monty.jpg

Nice Wade! Thats a good idea too. I like those stick on temp. things too, where would you get something like that?

Lisa, any wine making supply and or brew shop would carry them and George sells them also!

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
<t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5426 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2599_sm.jpg
</td>
<td width="20%">

Dual Scale Liquid Thermometer

Adhesive
backing for attaching to outside of plastic or glass containers for
accurate inside reading. Horizontal readings in 2° increments. 8" x 1".</td></tr></t>
</table>

Latest posts

Back