Rosella/Roselle wine first attempt

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - this time delay factor is an issue. You need to be getting up a lot earlier to make your posts, Shayne. LOL

Agree, no bleach. Keep bleach out of the winery otherwise you will get TCA/cork taint. The malic in acid blend won't be a big deal, don't worry about it.

I agree with using the pectic enzyme, it won't hurt. But at this point I recall that it doesn't work as well and you might want to hold off and just use it post fermentation.

Do you need any more nutrient? This is a 2 gallon batch and it has been a long time since I used straight yeast nutrient, but I recall 1t/gallon to be the dose, in which case you have enough nutrient already.

Agree, no bleach. Keep bleach out of the winery otherwise you will get TCA/cork taint. The malic in acid blend won't be a big deal, don't worry about it.

I agree with using the pectic enzyme, it won't hurt. But at this point I recall that it doesn't work as well and you might want to hold off and just use it post fermentation.

Do you need any more nutrient? This is a 2 gallon batch and it has been a long time since I used straight yeast nutrient, but I recall 1t/gallon to be the dose, in which case you have enough nutrient already.
I only added 1 tsp of the nutrient and was thinking of adding the second teaspoon when the specific gravity dropped to around 1.05. Should I add it now?

Yeah - this time delay factor is an issue. You need to be getting up a lot earlier to make your posts, Shayne. LOL
Either that or I build enough confidence/wisdom to actually wait before doing something stupid. But thinking about it, where is the excitement in doing that.
Must was down to 18 degrees celcius this morning. Prayer didn't provide the warming lightening strikes as hoped, so I have kicked the aircon into warming mode this evening and the must is back at 20 degrees, hopefully this is enough to hold it over this braw brit winter nicht.
June 6 today and still no really noticeable fermentation. Still smells good though. Gave a good stir with sterilised spoon, put clean cloth back on, will check again in the morning. Checked EC-1118 packet again (properly) and it seems to indicate using 40 degree celcius water for rehydration, surely that can't be right. I only used water at around 25 degrees when I did it, This yeast supposedly works in a range between 10 and 30 degrees.

+1 on the nutrient added now. Yes - 40C (104 F) is the correct temp to get the yeast out of hibernation. Add the low temp last night and you will likely have a slow start. I often use a seedling flat warmer under the fermenter when I start wine in the cold months. Keeps the must in the 70 F range (21-26 C). I've also used a regular heating pad set on LOW and plug it into a timer so it can go on and off a few hours at a time. Once it gets going good - it generates enough heat on it's own.

Ok today is the 7th of June, this morning was cold wet and miserable, maybe holding in the low teens outside for most of the day. I checked the ferment and it was holding at 19 degrees this morning with some bubbling going on. I've added the second teaspoon of nutrient tonight and gave the must a good old stirring and it is holding at 20 degrees. Surely this means the ferm has kicked in.

9 th of June
Checked quickly this morning, temperature of the must has jumped again up to 21 degrees.

I have to say though using 40 degree water to kick start the yeast seems strange when the operating range finishes below 30 degrees. Love this place just keep learning. Thanks for the advice.

How long would you leave it until you start checking spec grav.

Ok it's night time 9th June, must temp has risen to 24 degrees and spec gravity is down to 1.050. Must tastes dryer but the spritzige is still there but can taste the yeast flavour a little more. Gave the must a good stirring again. Still covering bucket with clean towel.
I have 2, 5 litre glass demijohns ready to rack off the must.

Apologies . I got one of the dates wrongs on a previous post.

Last edited:
9845866B-FCBF-4E29-A663-DC408A0CE998.jpeg Lunch time June 11, must temp has dropped to 22 degrees and S.G. Is down to 1.030. Starting to get a definite alcohol mouth feel and flavour profile is changing. Colour is holding. Will try and add a photo.

Hey Red, little worried as the flavour isn't quite as fabulous as it was and the must temp is dropping. An hour ago it was down to 21 degrees, I gave it a vigorous stir and it is back up to 22 degrees. My citrus wines at about the same SG started to produce hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg gas). The Ginger wine didn't but as you may recall I whipped the must like crazy.

Some the flavour should come back if you back sweeten. Keep stirring it. did you pull out the bag w/ the flowers & sultanas?

How long has it been in there? About a week? Sorry - Been busy - lost track. If it's down to 1.030 - you could pull the bag out anytime and let it drip or gently squeeze it. Keep stirring it and monitoring the sg.

OK june 12 night time
Must is holding at approx. 21 degrees SG is down to 1.015
Tasting the must reveals the acid backbone starting to show, still has what seems to be a less than desirable flavour component in it. Have a list of jobs to do tonight, so I will pull the fruit tomorrow night and strain to another primary. Yeast was pitched 7 days ago. Jack Keller recipe suggests 7-8 days for ferm to slow and remove fruit and transfer to secondaries to ferment out. Quite tempted to strain and move to the 2x5 litre secondaries under air locks. What to do?

I'd listen to your gut and get it under airlock.
Monster-in-law still there? LOL

Latest posts

Back