Rooted Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
After reading a post about keeping vines over the winter, I have a question.
I have some Muscadine vines I have rooted from cuttings. How do you keep them over the winter until Spring when I will plant them? Should I keep them in the shop where it is heated sometimes, but not all the time? Keep them in the basement where it is heated all the time? Leave them outside and cover them up with leaves? or just leave them outside and tell em to "Root Hog or Die"
Thanks
Semper Fi

Looks like this is the only thing that I know as much about as everyone else.
Next spring I'll tell everyone, either how to do it or at least one thing not to do.
Thanks
Semper Fi

kEEPING MUSCADINE ROOTED CUTTINGS

After reading a post about keeping vines over the winter, I have a question.
I have some Muscadine vines I have rooted from cuttings. How do you keep them over the winter until Spring when I will plant them? Should I keep them in the shop where it is heated sometimes, but not all the time? Keep them in the basement where it is heated all the time? Leave them outside and cover them up with leaves? or just leave them outside and tell em to "Root Hog or Die"
Thanks
Semper Fi
The best way to over winter rooted Muscadine cuttings is to keep them in a shaded cold frame. That way the temp. does not fluctuate too much and the temp. doesn't go much below freezing.
I have a small Muscadine propagation business and last winter I put all of my rooted cuttings in my Nearing Frame, ( a cold frame with shade). Almost all of my rooted cuttings made it through the extreme cold winter but a lot of my older muscadines in pots left to fend for them selves didn't make it. We did have an extremely cold winter for N. Ga. going down to 4 deg. several times.

Hans

www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Back