Rookie mistake....PLEASE HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBH

Junior
Reaction score
I began my first blueberry two days ago and after it was too late I realized i didn't wait long enough after adding my campden tablets to add my yeast. There is no bubbling, and a small amount of foam has developed on the surface. Is it ok to prepare another yeast starter now and add to the must??
Or is there something else I should do??

Thanks in advance!

How long did you wait?

How long has it been since you added the yeast?

What is the temperature of the must right now?

I had a batch where the temp was too low and the fermentation wouldn't start until i got the temp up around 70 degrees.

Thanks for the response!

How long did you wait? only 3 hours :(

How long has it been since you added the yeast? 32 hours

What is the temperature of the must right now? 65 degrees

I had a batch where the temp was too low and the fermentation wouldn't start until i got the temp up around 70 degrees.

You can try raising the temperature up around 70-72 degrees.

If that doesn't work - you might be able to add some more yeast - but i will let the more experienced wine makers direct you before doing this.

Did you add any yeast nutrient?

What was your initial SG?

Have you taken an SG reading since?

You can try raising the temperature up around 70-72 degrees.

If that doesn't work - you might be able to add some more yeast - but i will let the more experienced wine makers direct you before doing this.

Did you add any yeast nutrient? Yes I did

What was your initial SG? 1.091

Have you taken an SG reading since?
No I haven't taken another reading since

Try taking an SG reading - that will let you know for sure if any activity is going on.

What strain of yeast did you use?

hmm - so definitely nothing going on.

Try raising the temp - see what happens. You should notice something in 3-4 hours.

If that doesn't work - then lets see what the more experienced folks have to suggest.

I wouldn't call myself an expert, per se, but it sounds like you may in fact have pitched too soon after the k-meta addition as you feared. If you are truly getting no fermentation activity after a few days, I can't imagine it would hurt to add more yeast. My concern about your statement, though, is the foam on the surface. That indicates possible fermentation activity... but if your gravity hasn't changed, I'm not sure what is causing it.

On a side note, if you are using dry yeast you don't need to make a starter... just sprinkle the contents of a new packet of yeast on the must like magic winemaking dust and walk away. Check on it a day or two later and you should have some activity.

32 hours after adding yeast at 65* is not long enough. Get thentemp up to around 75* and stir it up. Wine yeast has a much stronger tolerance to sulfites then natural yeast does so I bet it will get going but it might not at 65*. Always add yeast with temps around 75*-80* just until the yeast gets going and then let the temp go down some depending on what you are fermenting.

I missed that your temp is at 65 degrees. While this should work eventually, it will be much slower. That may be why you have some foam on top. It may just be getting started. As Wade said, bring the temp up and it will likely take off on it's own.

Back