RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols Bella Bianco

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quntumleap

Junior
Reaction score
I have taken a hiatus from winemaking as I moved from Loveland, OH to Columbus, OH in May 2010. I had purchased a RJ Spagnols bella bianco kit in December 2009 from George. After moving and retiring and setting up my golf club fitting business I have just now started opening boxes containing my winemaking equipment and supplies. What I forgot was that the Bella Bianco was never made and was packed away in my basement since May 2010. Is this kit work making or should I pour it down the sink and order and new one? I have missed having my own wines and being active on the forums. Now that the business is up and running I hope to get back and see what I have been missing for the past 2 years.
John

If the juice looks and smells OK (not oxidized) you should be OK. You will probably need some fresh yeast.

Thanks for the response. What are the signs of oxidation. It has been in the box, never opened. Would there be color or odor changes?
Thanks
JOHN

Mostly color change. The straw color of the juice becomes brown.

Well it looks like it may not be usable. I never opened it but the color is like a dark honey. I don't remember what it looked like when I got it but this is the darkest I've seen any white kit that I have had. I don't think I want to waste the time to find out.
Thanks
JOHN

I would taste the juice before throwing it out. If it tastes ok, make it. I got some chardonnay concentrate from a friend who owns a boutique winery near Lodi which was very brown in color. It turned out fine.

Started the kit today. Juice tasted fine. Color was almost the color of light honey. Used new yeast as the one I had was expired. SG was 1.10 Only time will tell.
JOHN

An update for those who may be in a similar situation. I racked the wine to a carboy a few days ago. Fermentation was complete and the SG was right on target at 1.02 after 14 days. Degassed and added K meta, sorbate and clearing agents. It is clearing well and I tasted it today. Bouquet is faint but nice. Color looks dark in the carboy but it is only slightly darker than I would have expected in the glass. It tastes pretty good for a just racked wine and I expect it to turn out great. Thanks to those that said go ahead and make it.
John

Sounds like it will turn out OK then. Good job!
smiley20.gif

Back