Rising bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llnicely

Reaction score
I have just racked a stabilized cabernet sauvignon into a demi-john, the bung and air-lock will not seat tight. It is the correct size bung. It keeps rising out, is this a cause for concern or is it off-gasing or airpressure that will resolve itself shortly? Thanks.

Yes it is a cause for concern. I have had that happen before with certain style bungs - generally when they are new. You may need to tape it down for a while. Usually if you can keep it in place for a day, it will remain in place. You want to make sure it stays in place and doesn't move or your wine can be exposed to too much air.

I've had that happen to me too, llnicely. I usually try a different bung. If you don't have another, try drying it off.

I have that happen a lot - I think sometimes it is because the carboy and/or bung are wet.I'll use a big piece of clear packing tape from one side of the carboy, over the bung, and attached to the other side of the carboy to hold the bung down. After about a day, everything has dried and it has a tight secure fit and I'll take the tape off.
good luck!
Wayne

Yes, I forgot - as Joan mentions - to try drying everything off first!

Thanks for all the quick replies, I will secure the bung and see if I can locate a new one soon.

Latest posts

Back