RIP Dick Cooper

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@4score and I had a reservation to purchase a ton of Barbera from his vineyard a few years back. We got bumped when the yields were low that year. It is one of the few grape varieties that retains its acidity in our hot climate.

I had never heard of Barbera wine until Finer Wine Kits offered them. This article was very informative regarding the grape and the man who grew and promoted it.
My wife and I are drinking a California wine tonight that is simply called a "Red Blend." They don't list any of the varietals used. Can't help but wonder if the blend might include some less familiar wines--like Barbera!

4score,
Thank you for posting that clip of Mr. Cooper. I talked with him years ago in the tasting room. I grow Barbera in the foothills and had plenty of questions for him. I was able to ask a few which he was more than happy to provide a novice grower the information to but he was in big demand by a full house and my time was cut short. I noticed when I bought some wine he had written a book on growing grapes that I purchased an still refer to from time to time.

Damn. Thank you so much. That video brought back memories going back 30+ years. He knew Barbera inside and out, always had time to talk, and never pulled any punches. I may have stolen "Zinfandeland" from him. He was living proof that, whatever it is you want to do, today would be a good day to start.

Latest posts

Back