WineXpert Riesling still fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast on July 2nd. Racked it over to secondary on
July 6th and believe it or not is still fermenting. i'll have to
take a SG reading to see where it is, but I haven't had a wine take
this long to finish before. It has quite a bit of foam at the
surface still.

Thats good as a slower fermentation with a white wine is actually beneficial.

I measured the SG this morning. It was 1.002 and still bubbling.

I was not aware that a slow ferment was good for a white. Looks like I am in good shape then :)

Stick on thermometer reads 74 degrees, so I guess all is well.

Fruits and white wines will retain more of a fruity flavor this way.

and it is still going, and going, and going, and going

longest ferment I have ever had.....Started on July 2nd and it is still bubbling

Tru, I just finished a Viognier. It fermented very happily for over 45 days.

Allow the wine to do what it wants. It will be happier that way and produce a better wine.

geocorn said:
Allow the wine to do what it wants. It will be happier that way and produce a better wine.

yup, sounds good. I just wanted to post an update.

the wine is actually clearing quite nicely as well during the ferment. It will be a shame to have to stir up all that yeast and sediment on the bottom when it is done fermenting in order to add the clarifier, but hey.....

The thought of happy wine, makes me happy as well
smiley17.gif
Edited by: Trubador

just checking in with an update:

still has bubbles rising in the wine, it has been 41 days since pitching the yeast, it has about 3/4-inch of sediment on bottom and is very clear at this point.

Should I be at all concerned about the length of time it has now spent on top of the lees? As soon as it stops fermenting, I am going to have to mix up all the lees again with it when I degass and stabilize.

I know people do extended ageing on lees with Chardonnay, but I haven't heard of doing it with Rieslling.

Have you checked the specific gravity again. Making decisions based on bubbling action is not the best course. The are several reasons for bubbles besides fermentation.

geocorn said:
Have you checked the specific gravity again. Making decisions based on bubbling action is not the best course. The are several reasons for bubbles besides fermentation.

no I haven't checked again. There are standing bubbles at the top of the wine as well.

Unfortunately I am going away on vacation for a week so I can't do anything with the wine until then anyway.

Last I checked was a few weeks ago, maybe 3 and the the SG was 1.002.

Well, I just bottled this on monday. Took a glass to taste as well. It needs some more time I guess. Has a bit of an "off" after taste, not sure how to describe it other than after taste and not so good, not horrible, but not good.

I have made plenty of good tasting wines so far though, so no worries if it doesn't turn out well, just thought I'd share. It definitely didn't ferment normally and maybe that has something to do with it.

I am going to keep it on my shelf, obviously. I'll let it sit there another 6 months and taste it once or twice along the way and hopefully it starts to improve.

It has a lot more color than I thought it would as well. It's clear and all, but a full glass has an "apple juice" tinge to it.

Most of my wines have needed over a year to get toward their best, so I am hopeful this one will come around with time.

Back