Riddle me this..Port vs rocket fuel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedarswamp

Reaction score
What exactly would be the difference? As Julie correctly pointed out on another thread, counting on a yeast to croak off at it's advertised abv is a crap shoot, and while mine wasn't exactly intentional, it looks like I'm gonna wind up with a 15.5% blackberry wine. Why would this be a bad thing when blackberry ports are higher?

Ports tend to be flavor and oak heavy to bear the heat of higher ABVs. I just made some blueberry rocket fuel. I was making a BB port and miss recalled how much brandy to add. It tasted like 23% ABV. I decided to let it age a while and do some blending later.

The difference between an average wine and a port, to me... The ports I've made are "more" of almost everything..

More fruit - larger flavor, more viscosity
More ABV - with this comes different sweetness and acidity levels

I add brandy to my ports, for the complexity it has over a grain alcohol
I also believe that grape spirits blend better with wines than grain alcohol does

I basically aim to magnify all the facets I can, when making a port, while still maintaining a balance.

A normally made wine / a wine you approached with the mindset of it being a daily drinker, would have most facets geared toward a daily drinker with the ABV sticking out like a sore thumb, per say..

When I make a port I shoot for 22% minimum (using pearson's square). I have never had a batch re-ferment and believe that most yeast will not survive an abv of 20% or higher.

Latest posts

Back