Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost40Vinter

Reaction score
I am starting my first batch of Rhubarb wine. I am using 7 pounds of Rhubarb for the must and was going to use 3 pounds of strawberries to make a F-Pack. This is going to be a 1 pound batch. I put pectic enzyme on the "fruit" with 1/2 gallon of boiling water and let it stand for a day before adding more water & sugar to bring the SG up to 1.07. I have added wine tannin, yeast nutrient and energizer, and acid according to the directions on the ingredients. The acid was added according to my readings from acid tasting. I was thinking of not adding a can of white grape juice and leaving the Rhubarb juice for the must alone.

What is everyone's opinion on not using the white grape juice in the must?

I know it might be a little dangerous to ask opinions in the right crowds! :)

I used bananas to build body in my rhubard. The final product had the hint of banana on the tongue, with the rhubarb grabbing the back of your throat on the way by. It was very good! Unfortunately I made just two gallons and it didnt last long (-:.

Looking forward to next spring for more rhubard banana!

In case you can't wait till Spring I think Walkers is still selling the juice in 5 gallon pails. A few of us have got it from them and it's quiet good.

I've made a fair amount of rhubarb. I would stick with 3# per gallon on it. The acid may prevent it from starting without calcium carbonate. Walkers tempers the acid and sugars for you, usually, so that can help too.

Google spiced rhubarb wine... I've made some nice wine with that. It does take a while to age and smooth out.

Debbie

I got a 5 gallon hot pack of rhubarb from Walkers. Going to rack it off it's fining sediment tomorrow. I am going to add raspberry to blend with it. A 90% rhubarb and 10% raspberry.

Steve,

What were the numbers on that rhubarb from Walkers??

I think I might try a 90% raspberry and 10% rhubarb.

Debbie

It was about $50.00 I think for 5 gallons. Hot pack only. 1.080 was initial gravity. Ph was 2.89 and .92% acid. Sealed with 50ppm sulfite

To me rhubarb doesn't smell good. At least in the beginning. Wish it came on a 6 gal. size though. I'll take some tests tomorrow and let you know.

I might have to go get some of this. By the way Walkers do not adjust for acid. They adjust for sugar. The acid in the last two hot packs I got last month were 1.5%. That was Red Raspberry and Cranberry.

Acid must have been adjusted... those are good numbers. I started a sour cherry from there and the TA was 1.12, I think... it started!! Wasn't sure if it would. I made a roaring starter and acclimated it pretty good.

Debbie

My homegrown rhubarb is VERY high... don't remember off hand what it was. I steamed juiced, then canned it right away. Worked great! I don't have the same source as I used to, but it wouldn't be hard to find people that have too much around here! Might have to get more next spring and play with it. I have a small patch and my Mom has some. I'll check with the neighbors too!

Debbie

Back