RJ Spagnols Rheingau German Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grannytsb

Reaction score
ACK !! Is this what its supposed to look like ? I started it 1/14 with SG 1.090. As directions state Day 6-8 Check SG should be 1.020 or lower. Today 1s day 7 and SG was 1.000 so I racked to carboy getting every last drop I could w/o disturbing the sediment........
smiley5.gif

granny

Getting a pic DUHHHHHHHHH would be nice if I showed you what it looked like !!!!!!
Granny

The picture will be nice, but it sounds like it is right on schedule. You could have racked a day sooner, but it is fine when you did it. On first racking don't worry about a bit of sediment- get all that is there. A lot of times I even get it when it's mucky but still thin. When it turns to sludge- shut it off. You would be surprised how much extra you get with that first bit of cloudy wine(still 3/4 wine or more). It can add up to a full bottle or more once the lees settle out. Some kits even benefit from some transfer of lees on the first racking.

am in process of resizing pics and getting them uploaded. Will post a pic later.......

Granny, that is exactly what it should look like at this time. Dont start getting impatient on us now. Give it another month and and after adding a fining agent it will look like this!!!
4.jpg

LOL !!!!!!! Not getting impatient just wanna make sure it looks like it should......... Thanks for the input...........

Granny
smiley17.gif

OK I did the degassing & stabilizing and it has foam on the top. What now?

granny
smiley7.gif

wait and the foam will either dissipate or drop down as sediment. Like Appleman says...just wait.

well I did notice ALOT of sediment drop out after I degassed and clarified and stabilized. OK I will be patient

granny

I went thru the same thing with my first white wine, it looked just like yours. Now a 5 weeks later it is as clear as can be. It is really hard to believe the change but it does happen.

Hi granny,
I prefer whites so I have made several of them and thats what they look like at that stage, you will be amazed what it looks like in a few days. Good Luck

Back