Revisions to starter packages

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
George,

I didn't get my previous equipment at your store.
smiley11.gif

Dummy me for not buying from you right at the start.
smiley2.gif

Hey George. I have a couple of WE kit empty boxes and the bags the juice came in. Do you offer refills
smiley36.gif

Maybe half price on the first 30 bottles you sell. I know you don't split a case, but it is the first time buyer. You know the Numbers better Than I do.

Waldo

Sorry, no free refills!

Steve,

The problem with half cases is not the bottles, but the packaging. The bottles come 12 to a cases and if I only sell 6, who gets the box? Then, what do I do with the other 6? I have been trying to solve that dilemna since day one.

geocorn said:
I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but obviously, you have not read my return policy. It basically says that I will take ANYTHING back at any time, no questions asked. If you want to upgrade, just send me your trade-in and I will credit the purchase price of the trade-in against the upgrade. You keep forgetting with whom you are dealing.

On the other hand, I would be happy to set up a yard sale page for anyone to off load any unwanted equipment.

I personally would not feel right about returning an item unless it was defective or poor quality. If I bought the stuff and was pleased with the product then you earned your profit. Why should you give up any of that profit for an item I bought, was satisfied with but now have used up or am tired of? No, I would keep the item and come back to buy more from a vendor that I am satisfied with. I would dispose of the item on eBay or possible in the FVW Classifieds Forum
smiley2.gif

I truly do appreciate your policy to take anything back no questions asked, I just personally couldn't do it unless there was a product issue.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

George,

I am with smurfe on this one. It is a great offer but, if the product worked fine and I just want to upgrade, I would not expect you or anyone to take it back unless it is defective.

I am so bad about returning things most of the time I won't even take it back if it is defective... My wife has been trying to break me of this since we got married but, I have only returned maybe 3 things in that time...
smiley2.gif
Edited by: Steve

smurfe said:
I personally would not feel right about returning an item unless it was defective or poor quality. If I bought the stuff and was pleased with the product then you earned your profit. Why should you give up any of that profit for an item I bought, was satisfied with but now have used up or am tired of? No, I would keep the item and come back to buy more from a vendor that I am satisfied with. I would dispose of the item on eBay or possible in the FVW Classifieds Forum
smiley2.gif

I truly do appreciate your policy to take anything back no questions asked, I just personally couldn't do it unless there was a product issue.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

We think along the same lines. It's not that I am "returning" something, but rather I've "outgrown" something. I think there's a fine line.

My 2-leveld corker was worth much more than I sold it for. Even if it would have been a trade-in.

It also shouldn't have the stigma, "Not good."But rather, "Not sufficient anymore."

I would still be using my corker if I hadn't made the plunge for a floor corker. With George's corks, it worked like a charm everytime.

Steve beat me to my line of thinking.
smiley36.gif
My whole family has been trying to break me of this habit. And, I'm the stingy one of the whole bunch.

Steve is right - there's nothing wrong with the item. Works GREAT, even. It's just that the floor corker (in my case) works better than the other item I've had.

I think I have modified the kits the best I can. I added the carboy brush and tubing clamp to the beginners kit, added the 24" mix stir to the deluxe kit and removed bottles from all kits. I will then offer bottles as an add-on at a $1.00 off per case. I will also offer the floor corker as an upgrade. You can see the new page at:

[url]https://www.finevinewines.com/Customizable_Wine_kits_2006.ht m[/url]

Thanks for all your help. I will start on the scratch kits, now.

Has any body notice the list of stuff grows with each post.

Hey as with all things as you get into it the more stuff you want.

I hope i dont offend any one but that how it is with me. I wine accessory drawer thing i keeep all this wine stuff in grows. as I read catalogs and forums.

It's hard to say what a "beginner" would need, because everyone has their own little favorite toy. That's why the list gets longer and longer, I think. For example, I don't use a tube clip. I have a tube clamp, but not a clip. Someone else would probably think the same of a brew-belt or something. I think that's why there are just so many things on our lists.

Plus, beginner's packages and "helpful things" packages are two different ballgames that are hard to keep apart at times. I think often times you have to like the hobby to begin with in order to keep with it -- I know that stupid plunger-corker thing almost made me give up winemaking (because I broke the bottle instead of getting the cork in there! I almost didn't think the hobby was worth that trouble).

Oh well, thank goodness there are forums like this one. When I started, I didn't really have anything/anyone except CJJ Berry (which wasn't too bad, but very one-sided).
smiley36.gif
Edited by: MedPretzel

Martina,

You have hit the nail on the head. What I am trying to do with my starter packages is make sure they have everything they need to have a success with their first batch. In addition, I want the equipment to be quality so the newbie will not get frustrated. That is why I put the double lever hand corker in my starter packs and not the plastic plunger you speak of.

Way too many of the home brew stores do not sell a quality starter package for wine making. Last week, I got several calls from "soon to be new customers" who received a starter pack from someone else and were disapointed with the contents. I have discovered a few more tweeks I need to make to my starter packages based on feedback this year, but I have to be careful to not price myself out of the ballpark.

I am also going to finally make my own video this year and I have a few ideas for it that should be interesting.

I like the idea of the Video. A suggestion would be to have a few "staged" common "OOPS" and how to resolve them.

This will be an instructional video, not a mini-series.You would be surprised at the number of OOPS out there. I will; however, try to explain how everything works and proper procedures tocut down on the OOPS, but I guarantee you that someone will find a way to make a mistake at every point in the process!

On the flip side, mistakes can begood for business. When a new customer calls with a question, it gives me an opportunity to show them how good we are at helping them out and, hopefully, converting them to a long-term customer.

George: I didn't get my first kit from you but in veiwing yours, what came in mine is comparable to what you offer. What I do wish came in mine that doesn't come in any kit that I have seen so far, and might be good for sales, is a simple "suggestion list" With perhaps an explanation of what/why they should need needs items in the future. For instance, that little orange cap that looks like a deformed upside down cow when I first saw it..........
smiley5.gif
After many months, curiousity got the best of me...... I had to buy one............ used it once and in a box it went. No were could I find an example of it's function or how to use it........ (or maybe that was a personal brain fart), but one day while racking, it dawned on me that my racking cane will go right through the center hole and I could gently blow into the second hole and no more siphoning! Just a thought, easy....... cheap to do and should help in the sales department in the future. Edited by: jobe05

Where did you get your starter kit?

On my wine making tutorial, I talk about some of the upgrades and improvements, but it is hard to discuss all possible options. In addition, it seems there are hundreds of ways to accomplish the same thing. I steer wine makers towards the auto-siphon, so the carboy cap never really comes into play.

This the main reason I have the forum so wine makers can learn how others accomplish various tasks and let them decide which is best for them. I want people buying from me, not me selling to them.

I do plan on filming some techniques and putting snipets on the web site. Uses for the carboy cap would be a great snipet.

Sorry for not replying sooner George. My wife got me the starter kit from a local brew shop. Im sure it's a standard type kit that most have. I like your theory about not selling to your customers, yet having them buy from you, as a business man myself, I learn something new everyday. I wasn't saying to put one of those caps in the kit, I was saying that having a list of products in the kit that would show what they are used for would be handy, but not neccessary for a starter kit, but nice to have in the future, or not.......

Well the starting price of the first batch is nothing for the second batch. explain that once they enjoy the first batch its time to get the second batch going at problay half the price. The only expense I have now is with wine racks for public view. Red Wood ones are expense but work it. and go craxy with an in house wine cellar

Back