WineXpert Limited Release Apres Chocolate Raspberry Dessert Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumby

Wine improves with age, I improve with wine
Reaction score
Question guys and gals. I plan on making 2 double of batches of this wine. Each kit makes 3 gallons, so I'll be doubling each to make 2 - 6 gallon batches. My question is should I double all the additives and clearing agents for each 6 gallon batch? Each kit comes with 2 EC1118 yeast packs, so essentially I would be using 4 packs of yeast for a 6 gallon batch. That seems like overkill to me. Also do you think I'll need both packages of clearing agents to clear it.? They appear to be the same size that's included with most all WineExpert kits. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:
The yeast? No. Each packet is good for up to 6 gallons, so you can save 2.

The K+C? If you're positive the packets are the same size as the 23 liter kits, you can use just one. However, I'd verify that -- the packets often have the size (in ml) on them. You can contact Winexpert to ask.

Question guys and gals. I plan on making 2 double of batches of this wine. Each kit makes 3 gallons, so I'll be doubling each to make 2 - 6 gallon batches. My question is should I double all the additives and clearing agents for each 6 gallon batch? Each kit comes with 2 EC1118 yeast packs, so essentially I would be using 4 packs of yeast for a 6 gallon batch. That seems like overkill to me. Also do you think I'll need both packages of clearing agents to clear it.? They appear to be the same size that's included with most all WineExpert kits. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
FYI - I have made that kit twice. The first time was my second batch of wine I ever made. I have just a couple of bottles left and it hasn't been a year yet!! I made it a second time and this time I have managed to age most of it. The first batch, even with minimal aging, was a hit with my family and friends.

Don’t ,make them separately better out come , these kits are my judges gold and best of shows.

FYI - I have made that kit twice. The first time was my second batch of wine I ever made. I have just a couple of bottles left and it hasn't been a year yet!! I made it a second time and this time I have managed to age most of it. The first batch, even with minimal aging, was a hit with my family and friends.

That's why I doubled down on making 2 - 6 gallon batches.

I am also making 5 batches of these wines, one of each to try this year. The kit comes with 2 yeast for each kit so I am thinking there must be a reason. I used both yeast packages for mine, but dont know how they would be using only one.

I don't believe the batch size matters.

These "port" kits are very drinkable, even when young. However, giving them time to age is worth it. I bottle in splits so I get 30 bottles instead of 15, makes it last longer.

How long would you recommend aging them? I am thinking at least a year would be good, so in time for next xmas. I will bottle in small batches and plan on trying them next fall so I will know if I want five different batches next year or if there is some I like better than others. They smell wonderful.

I started my double batch on the 9th of this month (about a week earlier than the OP) started them in a large bucket fermenter then shifted to a fastferment conical after chaptalization (easier to stir in the extra sugar in a bucket than in a conical)... the question I have is this, when it came time for clearing this last Friday (day 14) I couldn't find the second package of Keiselsol (it was hiding) so I used some from the bottle I have... then I added the Chitosan the next day like the directions say... long story short, they say to let it clear for 25 days, but after 2, it is pretty freakin' clear already... does it REALLY take three weeks to clear, or is this just for aging?

I started out with my first three batches of wine being from whole fruit, and they always seemed to clear darned quickly after the addition of bentonite or keiselsol/chitosan it just seems that 25 days seems a bit "long"

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated (and sorry Jumby for hijacking your thread)

Kit wines generally clear in just a few days, like yours did. The extra time is similar to the instructions when making soup, let simmer for 4 hours.

All those flavors and smells need a chance to develop. FWIW, I generally let it sit and bulk age for 4-6-12 months racking occasionally, but adding extra KMeta. It really does make a difference. And I don't add the clearing agents until much later in the process, but that's just me.

Kit wines generally clear in just a few days, like yours did. The extra time is similar to the instructions when making soup, let simmer for 4 hours.

All those flavors and smells need a chance to develop. FWIW, I generally let it sit and bulk age for 4-6-12 months racking occasionally, but adding extra KMeta. It really does make a difference. And I don't add the clearing agents until much later in the process, but that's just me.
Thank you for the "clarification" (I couldn't resist)...

The fast ferment keeps me from having to "rack" and the mason jar adapter lets me see what is happening with the lees... so far, the biggest complaint I have with the fast ferment is that the markings are WRONG... At 6 actual gallons, the markings say 6.5... kind of blew my mind at first, because when I first used it with another batch, I had 6 gallons dead on in the bucket primary fermenter, and when I transferred it, my first thought was that the bucket was wrong.... since then, I have measured the input to the fast ferment, and noted the difference.

I also keep a "pad" of CO2 on the surface to minimize oxidation

20211025_090850.jpg

I have some bottles (capped beer bottles) from batches from 2013 and 2015. Opened both last night. Both were still great and that was a nice surprise. I didn't think they could last that long and honestly, they have not been properly stored (meaning moved a lot, no climate control).

Iceman what was your final SG after fermenting? Mine's 10 days in the fermenter and down to .994. It fermented bone dry. I'm going to transfer and clear mine today.

I started my double batch on the 9th of this month (about a week earlier than the OP) started them in a large bucket fermenter then shifted to a fastferment conical after chaptalization (easier to stir in the extra sugar in a bucket than in a conical)... the question I have is this, when it came time for clearing this last Friday (day 14) I couldn't find the second package of Keiselsol (it was hiding) so I used some from the bottle I have... then I added the Chitosan the next day like the directions say... long story short, they say to let it clear for 25 days, but after 2, it is pretty freakin' clear already... does it REALLY take three weeks to clear, or is this just for aging?

I started out with my first three batches of wine being from whole fruit, and they always seemed to clear darned quickly after the addition of bentonite or keiselsol/chitosan it just seems that 25 days seems a bit "long"

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated (and sorry Jumby for hijacking your thread)

Iceman what was your final SG after fermenting? Mine's 10 days in the fermenter and down to .994. It fermented bone dry. I'm going to transfer and clear mine today.
My gravities were a bit wonky - my OG was only 1.114 (a bit low). I thought I had figured it out when I transferred to the fast ferment, I THOUGHT it was because I had accidentally diluted it in the primary (I had assumed faulty markings on the bucket) but it turned out the faulty markings were on the FastFerment, and it was not over diluted.

At a week in (chaptalization) the SG was 1.016 before chaptalization, and 1.024 after.

At day 10, it was 1.010, and on day 14 it was down to 1.008... that's when I pulled the plug, stabilized and began clearing. The added time to get a wee bit more ABH seemed bo be not really worth it, it was already fairly strong. That said, I must add that after adding the flavor package, even green as hell, the wine had a pretty darned good flavor, time will only make it better!

Today is day 18 (day 4 of clearing), and it is clearing nicely, not sure I will go the full 25 days to clear, thinking about going a week, maybe two, then cold crashing and letting it bottle age.

1635256869524.png

Not sure with reds, should it be completely transparent like a white would be (and my blackberry was, but it was not QUITE as dark) or am I shooting for translucent (kind of like it is now)? For some reason I am thinking that reds are more translucent than transparent, but again, I have only "finished" two other wines (strawberry and blackberry), and this is the first red I have made.

I'm currently doing the Apres Chocolate Mocha, and everything has gone pretty much to plan. However, I'm about a week into clearing and it's looking really dark - I can put a torch of one side and not a bit of light shines through! I know it has been clearing as sediment has clung to the side as normal, and I've twisted the carboy to let it drop.

I can't figure out if it's just clearing slowly - or whether it's just the nature of the chocolate mocha means it's darker.

I'm used to doing whites which clear up pretty much completely within a few days. There's no rush but just curious.

Back