Review of my first three batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce652

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle of my last batch, a barolo, so I figured Id do a review for newbies like me or those looking to jump into this sport.

A few months back I took the plunge and made 3 batches. One 6 gallon barolo, a 1.5 gallon white out of welches white niagra concentrate and another 1.5 white peach.

Believe it or not the Welch's has gotten rave reviews and I was very suprised at how well it turned out. I took two bottles to my brother in law, who fancies himself as a wine snob, and he loved it. He was a bit embarassed when I told him how I made it. We gave another bottle to friends who really liked it as well. Personally, I really like it and will be making a few more larger batches in the next few weeks. For the money its a very nice summer drinking wine on hot days...nothing too fancy but very passable.

The white peach, another juice concentrate experiment, got good reviews by my wife but I didnt care for it personally. It had a good nose but lacked flavor and was a bit acidic. I will probably not make another batch of this.

Just now I popped a small bottle of barolo which has only been closed for 3 months. It is very smooth and delicious. The sweetness is mostly gone and is a very well balanced wine. This is one that I will definately make more of as soon as I get back to the brew shop. Im finding it a little thin and lacking in oak flavor but I think it may be due to the kit only being a 4 week. Next time I will buy a better kit or perhaps add more oak.

All in all I am completley thrilled with my first three attempts. After making beer for years, with passable results, I feel that I can produce product that I am proud to both consume and proudly share with family and friends.

For all of you who are thinking about trying wine making I say Do not even hesitate, you will love the results and there is nothing to fear.

Thanks to everyone here who answered all my questions and now with the new batches there may be several more.

Good job Pierce although I must ask about the passable results for beer. What method of beer making were you using, full boil, partial, any grain steeping? As for the Barlolo, the bigger kits will be much better and almost all smaller kits will be thin. Ive heard that the Mosti Vinifera Noble are the best of the smaller kits from others.

Regarding the beer making Ive tried all the different methods except for a three tier system which I have but have not used yet.

When I say passable results the beer was good but was never knock your socks off great. Ive bottle fermented and kegged many batches. Im just very suprised at the great results with the wine.

One of these days I will venture back into the beer too. Maybe I will try to filter the beer and bottle it with a counterpressure bottle filler. I think with beer its also important to let it ferment out so you dont get the residual sweet taste and the filtering will eliminate the yeast.

Back