Reusing Sodium Metabisulphite? Safe?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdriver84

Reaction score
I had read that now that Sodium Metabisulphite was reusable. I have kept a jug of it and just keep reusing it. Today I cracked my jug to clean out a primary and got a huge whiff on something from the bottle that made my nose run and my my throat burn. I hacked and coughed for almost a half hour straight, and then things settled down. I read the MSDS sheets on the chemical and am not too worried, but what was this, SO2? Can you not actually reuse this as a sterilyzer?

For sanitizing, I keep my kmeta mixed with water for a long time and keep using it. SO2 is highly toxic, can cause that burning sensation, and bad allergic reactions. If I have an empty carboy, I keep a bit of kmeta solution in there but I don't reuse that in a different carboy. If that carboy has been empty and sealed with kmeta for a few weeks, man that first blast of SO2 is strong. The SO2 gas is what keeps the carboy bacteria free. That's a good thing.

Well, I think it's safe to say my sinuses are bacteria free for the day. That first whiff of gas I got left me gagging. I haven't opened that jug in about 3 months, so I imagine the gas was built up pretty good.

You should be able to store it as long as it's in an air tight container. More than likely you'll use all the solution before all the metabisulfute anions decomposed into SO2.

You can also smell it well when you put some of the solution in a spray bottle and use that.

I use Potassium Metabisulphite, myself, rather than Sodium Metabisulphite.
Sodium Metabisulphite can make things taste salty.

Why would anyone want to reuse it??? I use it, and then kill the bacteria in the sink drain. I also store some in empty carboys but always dump it.

Richard L.

There is only one way I reuse my Kmeta solution. After I use my hoses for moving wine, I always rinse them with hot water, so they are relatively clean. Then, when I get ready to use them again, I get a couple of cups of Kmeta solution, put one end of the hoses back in the solution jug, pour the solution through the hoses and back into the jug.

Otherwise, I never reuse it. Even when I store my empty carboys sealed with a little solution in them, when I get ready to use that carboy, I always discard the used solution.

I read somewhere that you can keep meta sealed in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. I have mine in a couple of growlers in my garage fridge and typically use it for 2 or 3 months. It isn't a matter of cost so much as convenience.

I keep reusing it as long as you are just rinsing bottles out before bottling or swishing a primary bucket before filling it. If you get any residue from what you are rinsing, then throw it out. I make mine really strong and have to be careful NOT to stick my head over the jar. I keep about 2-3 cups in an empty plastic mayo jar on the counter.

Debbie

Is it possible to rejuvenate old, unused SMBS...? I purchased 70kilo by mistake and it has aged out of strength.
I'd like to recharge it if possible. I have a pyrolysis oven and wonder if a heat treatment would do the job...?
Any thoughts or experiences?

Is it possible to rejuvenate old, unused SMBS...? I purchased 70kilo by mistake and it has aged out of strength.
I'd like to recharge it if possible. I have a pyrolysis oven and wonder if a heat treatment would do the job...?
Note -- you replied to a decade+ old thread, and only 1 person who replied is still on the forum.

AFAIK, there's no rejuvenating old Na-meta (or K-meta), but someone with more industry knowledge may have a solution.

Dump it, it has probably lost most of the SO2 and nothing you do will replace it.

I’m not gonna sniff it and find out 🤣
Says the guy whose sinuses are still intact! 🤣

I did a quick search, and found a reference that said upon exposure to air and/or humidity, Na-meta and K-meta slowly oxidize to a sulfate. This process is not reversible.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Sodium-metabisulfite#section=Decomposition

Other sources indicate a shelf life of up to 3 years. Not all sources are what I consider authoritative, but there is overall agreement. You can try making a Na-meta solution and gently sniffing it, e.g., wave your hand over the container to gently send fumes towards your note, and do NOT breathe deeply. But if it's more than 3 yo, I suspect your out of luck.

Welcome to WineMakingTalk
* from your question I take this to be dry sodium metabisulphite powder. A dry chemical powder which is not exposed to humidity will have 100% retention of activity. Once it is dissolved in water it hydrates and then can go through an equilibrium reaction which produces free SO2 gas, the toxic chemical which causes lung damage.
* WOW, 70, ,, on a 70 Kg package of SMBS if it was deteriorating, the room where you stared it would be toxic to all life forms, ,, including people
* pyrolysis oven, ,, you have some interesting toys. The manufacturing process probably needs to be done in an oxygen free environment. Sulfur is very reactive in an oxidizing environment.
* “has aged out of strength”. You haven’t mentioned what you are using metabisulphite for. If it is not functioning in a factory process it is dead. If you are looking at an industry code date/ expiration date, look at your storage conditions. Free water will initiate the degradation.
70 Kg, WOW ,, if this is a barrel of 10% solution pyrolysis isn’t practical, ,, if there has been significant loss of SO2 the room it was stored in was toxic to all life forms and all metal as screws which hold the sheet rock in the ceiling will be corroded.
I would wonder when the ceiling falls in?

Welcome to WineMakingTalk

* from your question I take this to be dry sodium metabisulphite powder. A dry chemical powder which is not exposed to humidity will have 100% retention of activity. Once it is dissolved in water it hydrates and then can go through an equilibrium reaction which produces free SO2 gas, the toxic chemical which causes lung damage.
* WOW, 70, ,, on a 70 Kg package of SMBS if it was deteriorating, the room where you stared it would be toxic to all life forms, ,, including people
* pyrolysis oven, ,, you have some interesting toys. The manufacturing process probably needs to be done in an oxygen free environment. Sulfur is very reactive in an oxidizing environment.
* “has aged out of strength”. You haven’t mentioned what you are using metabisulphite for. If it is not functioning in a factory process it is dead. If you are looking at an industry code date/ expiration date, look at your storage conditions. Free water will initiate the degradation.
70 Kg, WOW ,, if this is a barrel of 10% solution pyrolysis isn’t practical, ,, if there has been significant loss of SO2 the room it was stored in was toxic to all life forms and all metal as screws which hold the sheet rock in the ceiling will be corroded.
I would wonder when the ceiling falls in?
The SMBS is in powder form and used in my winery. It was separated and stored in smaller air-tight tubs.
I discovered its loss of strength/activity 'after' bottling... :/
I had hoped that heating in an oxygen-free oven might rejuvenate its sterilizing effectiveness.
(It might work but I wanted to get some feedback before making the attempt.)

Latest posts

Back