Reusing a spent must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
bear with me guys.. I know this sounds weird.

however...

I'm just about to strain the berry port off the pulp. And there was so much fruit in it that the blueberry skins still have plenty of colour etc.. so... I was thinking I might put the pulp into a stocking and add it to one of my apple wines that are still fermenting.. it'll add a small amount of flavour and a bit of colour I assume? As long as everything is sterile.. it should work ...right?

thoughts please?

Allie

I am not qualified to answer that G, but I think it was in here someone said you could add that to your compost.
Troy

bear with me guys.. I know this sounds weird.

however...

I'm just about to strain the berry port off the pulp. And there was so much fruit in it that the blueberry skins still have plenty of colour etc.. so... I was thinking I might put the pulp into a stocking and add it to one of my apple wines that are still fermenting.. it'll add a small amount of flavour and a bit of colour I assume? As long as everything is sterile.. it should work ...right?

thoughts please?

Allie

I wouldnt as it will mess up the apple profile and may over power the apple. If there is "juice" left over strain it out and add to your berry wine.

I'll second Tom.

Still worse might be that the longer fruit is fermented on the pulp, the more tannin will leach out. You might get a far to astringent wine that way.

Luc

thanks guys.. I have already dumped it in the compost bin..

Allie

Back