Reuse - recycle oak from wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dentman

Reaction score
I have about a pound of french oak chips that were in primary and when i racked i saved the chips onto some newspaper with the intent of putting into the wood stove. a few days later i thought, why not use the wine infused french oak chips to cold smoke some food? cheese, salt, veggies, salmon, etc etc. anyone ever considered or have done this and was there a noticeable difference?

Feel free to share anything else you've done relative to wine and barbecue or smoking (food) in general as well. it seems wine making, gardening and grilling/smoking are all close cousins :h

I've used them (not cold smoked) to cook beer can chickens and london broils before. Tastes smokey and oaky but I can't discern a difference between those and regular oak chips w/o the wine flavoring. I think I just use them because my Dad always said "waste not, want not", ie. I'm cheap.

I use mine in the grill and smoker. An ounce or two of cubes can make a huge difference on something as simple as a burger.

I also use the cubes blended with the typical hickory chips in the grill smoker box.

And I just threw them on my compost pile. Time to start saving them for my smoker.

Alrighty then! with snowmageddon upon us it looks like a good weekend to fire up the smoker :)

Latest posts

Back