Research into home winemaking - TIME TO TAKE THE SURVEY

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,

I am an anthropologist based at the University of Adelaide, Australia, who studies wine production and consumption. My research to date has mostly been to do with commercial wine, but as a home winemaker myself (and a member of this forum for a few years) I want to extend research into home and amateur winemaking, because this is an area that is often ignored! In particular, I am interested in the way knowledge, techniques, cultures and practices of winemaking are communicated and shared.

Please let me know by replying here (or by private message) if you are likely to be interested in participating in this research and answering some questions about your own winemaking. I want to hear from a range of winemakers from different places, with different perspectives and different levels of experience and expertise, from first-timers to serious hobbyists with their own vineyards.

The data collection will take the form of online surveying, and this may be followed up by more detailed questions via private message or email. All your responses will be anonymous: I will not collect or divulge any information that might identify you personally.

Thanks in advance!

Bill Skinner – william.skinner*at*adelaide.edu.au

Odd .... I see nothing in your background that says anthropologist or wine research.

Odd .... I see nothing in your background that says anthropologist or wine research.

Did you look at that link I posted: https://researchers.adelaide.edu.au/profile/william.skinner

Dr. Skinner is an early career researcher with a doctorate in Anthropology. His PhD thesis engaged with themes of landscape, regional identity, space and place, dwelling, terroir, production and consumption in the McLaren Vale wine region of South Australia. He has also undertaken anthropological research on wine production in Hvar, Croatia.

What is it your looking to gain , knowledge?
Each one of us on this forum is his or her own wine maker and we are as individual as we can be with our own style of wine making, background and ethicnic background.
You would have enough paper to edit what can be expounded here.
( And you may not use paper). Ifyou took the time to read what was already here ,then ask general questions it would make sense.
The process in Winemaking is basically the same the difference is the wine maker.

Hi Joe, I'm not looking to gain knowledge on the process of winemaking (as you say there's plenty of that available throughout the forum)! I am an anthropologist, meaning I am interested in human culture.. what I'm wanting is some insight around things like
  • what are people's motivations for making their own wine?
  • what is it that they find most rewarding about the winemaking process?
  • how do they share information and knowledge about making wine (online and offline)?
.. etc.
Like you said every individual has a different approach that is shaped by their own background and personal context, that's what I'm interested in looking at!!

Hi everyone, thanks for your interest!
Here's the link to my home winemaking survey: Home Winemaking Survey.

Cheers 🍷

This is an independent, unfunded research survey intended to gather responses from amateur and home winemakers who make their own wine from grapes. I am an anthropologist interested in understanding peoples' motivations for making wine as a hobby.

The questions relate to winemakers' practices, preferences and approaches with respect to making, drinking and sharing wine, and to interacting with other winemakers online and offline. All responses are anonymous, and none of the information you provide will be used for commercial purposes. Please indicate at the end of the survey if you wish to be contacted regarding survey findings and research outputs.

All questions are optional, but please complete this survey as accurately as you can. The survey should take 10-15 minutes to complete. Thank you for your participation!

William Skinner

Hi everyone, thanks for your interest!
Here's the link to my home winemaking survey: Home Winemaking Survey.

Cheers 🍷

This is an independent, unfunded research survey intended to gather responses from amateur and home winemakers who make their own wine from grapes. I am an anthropologist interested in understanding peoples' motivations for making wine as a hobby.

The questions relate to winemakers' practices, preferences and approaches with respect to making, drinking and sharing wine, and to interacting with other winemakers online and offline. All responses are anonymous, and none of the information you provide will be used for commercial purposes. Please indicate at the end of the survey if you wish to be contacted regarding survey findings and research outputs.

All questions are optional, but please complete this survey as accurately as you can. The survey should take 10-15 minutes to complete. Thank you for your participation!

William Skinner

Survey complete

Please let me know by replying here (or by private message) if you are likely to be interested in participating in this research and answering some questions about your own winemaking. I want to hear from a range of winemakers from different places, with different perspectives and different levels of experience and expertise, from first-timers to serious hobbyists with their own vineyards.

Im in

Latest posts

Back