Other reisling (kit?)present needs more detail?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
One of my sons bought me a Riesling kit from Williams-brewing as a present so I thought it was really a nice gesture on his part. That being said and when I opened the package, I found a can of the juice concentrate , a yeast bag of D47 and the following instructions:

I apologize for almost all the detail but I wanted to list a good portion of it on a 4 x 6 piece of paper that was included.
should there be a bit more ingredients such as yeast nutrients and a couple more steps included?

I have read a bunch of forums , taken notes but you folks could cut through the chase quick!

Riesling kit
2 1/2 gallon packing list'
1. sanitize a 3 gallon fermenter and mark it at the 2 1/2 gallon level.
2. pour the can into your 3 gallon fermenter( use a dage and add cold water to make 2 1/2 gallons.
3. Rehydrate the yeast per the instructions(d47) and pour into the mix. shake gently
4 Seal lid on your fermenter with an airlock and leave an area with a temperature 68- 75 for 14 days.
fermentation will start in 1-3 days.
6. After 14 days, sanitize your secondary 3 gallon fermenter, siphon the wine into the sec. fermenter and seal with an airlock , leaving the heavy sediment behind in the first fermenter.
7. Now leave this sealed carboy in a dark place with a steady temperature 60- 72 degrees for 90 days.
8. After 3 months in the sec. at a temperature no lower than 60 degrees f, the wine should be ready to bottle .
9. take the hydrometer reading to be sure the final gravity of 1.004 or less has been reached.
10. sanitize bottles and
11.age in the bottles for a minimum of 6 months , ideally with a temperature around 55 degrees.
12. If curious , you can try one after 3 months , although it will be a little sweet
13 Riesling like a little age , so age your sealed bottles for a minimum of 6 months

Any feedback would be appreciated
Corinth

Last edited:
I am not seeing any addition of Sulfites to the finished wine. Did you miss this step by chance or did they not include any? The concentrate could have yeast nutrients added already to it.

Very astute Mike "Hammer,(famous detective)!
"...gently concentrated with a min. heat under vacuum to 68 brix. Sugar has not been added nor is sugar needed to make 2 1/2 gallons of wine.
""contains sulfites!"

Well done Mike.

Whaddya think? I looked up some tentative recipes and an article by jack Keller. Do ya think I should call Williams and see what they have to say?

I trust you folks more than who I may get when I call so I will wait a few days before I put it all together.

Thanks.

Corinth:i

I doubt W&S would have much of an answer. Look at the label on the concentrate. If it mentions DAP or anything like Ammonium Phosphate then the nutrient has been included. Perhaps they think you will drink the wine so fast it won't need any Sulfites but calling for a 3 month period between fermentation and bottling pretty much demands some SO2 addition. There is a pretty good recipe on the cans of Alexander's Concentrate which is a similar product to what you have. You may look at these instructions to find some more details or a different approach at a minimum.

http://www.eckraus.com/wine-making-alexander-directions

Reisling kit(kit) needs detail

Thank you.
I looked up the alexander's recipe and a few others.
I guess when I looked up the description of the website, it mentioned that it came with oak and nutrients. It did not.
In fact, there wasn't even an used by or expired by or best used by.
I will call them and politely ask a few questions. Can't hurt.
It was a gift from one of my sons who is not a wine drinker. In fact, none of them are.
I have a couple of questions but I will call them first to see what they can share with me before asking.
thanks for taking the time,
Corinth:h

Corinth, are you sure that the kit is Williams-Sonoma and not Williams Brewing Company. It sounds an awful lot like the latter to me. I made their Muscat, which I use for blending, and I have found it to be very acceptable. Here is what I believe you have: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CALIFORNIA-RIESLING-KIT-FOR-25-GALLONS-P3028C166.aspx If you have all the equipment necessary, I think you will be very pleased with your wine.

Thanks rocky,
" To complement the varietal juice, specially selected dry wine yeast, oak chips, and nutrient are also included as needed." the above words were part of the description. Does it sound like this will be shipped along with the kit or has already been included in the concentrate. I am confused since the only thing that was shipped was the lD47 yeast

Oh , thank you for correcting me as I was also looking up some baking information from Williams-Sonoma . I think I was having a senior moment!

thanks again,
Corinth

Thanks rocky,
" To complement the varietal juice, specially selected dry wine yeast, oak chips, and nutrient are also included as needed." the above words were part of the description. Does it sound like this will be shipped along with the kit or has already been included in the concentrate. I am confused since the only thing that was shipped was the lD47 yeast

Oh , thank you for correcting me as I was also looking up some baking information from Williams-Sonoma . I think I was having a senior moment!

thanks again,
Corinth

Corinth, that verbiage is included in all of the kits they sell. The key terms are "as needed." Riesling would not normally be oaked, so no oak was included. I am not sure what to say about the nutrient, but I guess they felt it wasn't needed.

Williams kits make good wines, but they assume you already know what you are doing. As you found, the instructions are sparse, mix juice with yeast, ferment, bottle. Technically correct, but its like saying to be a millionaire, first get a million dollars.

P.S. Williams Brewing, not Williams-Sonoma.

Other Reisling

I called William's this morning and asked if some yeast and a set of instructions was what was typical of what was included in their kits. The representative stated yes.

I just wanted to make sure that nothing else was added or anything was missing before I start the process as the description on the website was slightly different. Now I will begin.

Corinth

Ivw got their viognier in the carboy right now. 4 months to go until bottling time.

Latest posts

Back